Application is currently ongoing for the 1,000 Australia Awards Scholarships for African Students With 3rd Class. So stop being discouraged about your grace, so far this scholarship is offered for African Students With 3rd Class 2019-2020.
There are two categories of Award: Australian Awards Scholarships, to undertake higher degree studies in Australia at the Masters level.
And Australia Awards Short Courses, to undertake short-term, targeted professional training courses, in Australia and/or in Africa, in a range of development-focused sectors.
The Australia Awards is the cornerstone of the Australian Government’s development assistance program for Africa. It provides access to postgraduate education, training and professional development opportunities for suitably qualified Africans from eligible countries. On their return to the workplace, Australia Awards alumni are expected to contribute to the development of their home countries.
What is Short Courses Awards all about?
Short Courses offer opportunities for short-term postgraduate training delivered in Australia and/or in Africa for up to six weeks.
Who is Eligible to Apply for 1,000 Australia Awards Scholarships for African Students With 3rd Class?
To be considered for a scholarship or short course, applicants must meet their country’s eligibility requirements. Generally, the following requirements apply:
- Citizen of an eligible African country, residing and working in their country of citizenship (or working for the home government in a third country)
- Minimum academic requirement: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Mid-level to senior-level professional, currently employed in a relevant field
- Meet relevant post-graduate work experience requirements
- Demonstrate a clear vision of how the knowledge gained through the scholarship will be used to improve policy, practice or reform in their home country
- Satisfactory English proficiency to enable full participation in a training course delivered in English
- Satisfy all requirements of the Australian Government for the appropriate student visa (subclass 500). You can also click here to see the full eligible countries for this scholarship.
Level/Field of Study:
The scholarship is for African students who wish to undertake Masters taught degrees and short courses at an Australian university.
Field of study:
Offer to study in Australian universities ranges across the following fields of study. Priority Fields (varies by African country)
- Agriculture/Food Security
- Public Policy (including public sector management, public sector reform, trade, international diplomacy)
- Environmental Management
- Natural Resource Management (including mining-related subjects)
- Technical and Vocational Education & Training (available for Short Courses only)
- Energy (including Natural Gas and Oil Technology)
- Natural Resource Management
- Transport (including Ports, Roads and Airports Management)
Benefits of the Scholarship
Australia Awards Scholarships for African Students is a Fully Funded Scholarship. These opportunities have the value that includes a full tuition waiver, accommodation, and other expenses paid. Guess what, over 1000 scholarships are available
Australia Awards Scholarships
Entitlements include the following:
- The full costs of tuition fees for up to two years
- An economy class flight to and from Australia. Note: Excess baggage and travel insurance charges are not covered
- An approximate annual stipend of AUD30,000 to cover living expenses while in Australia
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), which covers basic medical costs
- A once-off Establishment Allowance of AUD5,000 to assist with the costs of starting life in Australia and commencing the course (e.g. course books and materials, rental deposits, household items, etc.)
- Scholars, whose families remain in their home country, may be entitled to a reunion airfare allowing them to travel home, midway through the course. This is only available to scholars whose course is for two years or longer.
Short Course Awards
Entitlements include the following:
- The full costs of tuition fees for the duration of the course
- Mobilisation travel from the home country to the course delivery location(s), and return to the home country Note: Excess baggage and travel insurance charges are not covered
- Visa expenses
- A modest per diem
- Medical insurance for the duration of the short course.
To be taken in (Country):
All scholarships are taken in African or Australian Universities.
Australia Awards Scholarships Requirements
- You must be at least 25 and not more than 50 years of age at the date of your application.
- You must have at least three (3) years’ relevant post-graduate work experience. This work experience must be in a role relevant to your proposed field of study and to your employment organization type (e.g. public sector applicants should demonstrate public sector work experience, and so on). Preference will be given to candidates with greater periods of experience.
- You possess, as a minimum, a Bachelors degree (or the equivalent) from a recognized Institution of at least 4 years in length with at least a 3rd Class Pass.
- Public sector candidates must comply with the Government of Nigeria regulations for government employees wishing to apply for scholarships.
- The public sector, the private sector, and civil society candidates must provide evidence of completion of the National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) when they apply.
- You must not already hold, or be studying for, a Masters degree.
- You must be willing to make a formal commitment to return to your current employment following completion of the award.
- You must meet the general minimum eligibility criteria for Australia Awards Scholarships – refer to the Australia Awards Scholarships policy handbook.
Australian Award Application Form/Procedure:
The Scholarship is offered annually and the deadline for the scholarship is December and March of the academic year. Application deadline for Masters: The Scholarships opens every September 1st and December 1st
Other FAQ about Australian Award Application
Where can I get more information about the Australia Awards program?
What type of awards/scholarships does the Australia Awards program provide?
Currently, the Australia Awards program offers two types of Awards:
- Australia Awards Scholarships
- Short Course Awards
For more information on the types of Awards, go to http://www.australiaawardsafrica.org/awards/types-of-awards/
I need financial support towards my primary or secondary studies. Can I apply for a Scholarship?
Can I apply for a scholarship for a Bachelors degree under Australia Awards?
Australia Awards Scholarships are only offered to selected candidates to undertake postgraduate studies. Candidates applying must already hold a Bachelor’s degree. Click here to get more answers