Laptop Computers for data Scientists use several applications and tools to analyze datasets, databases, and more. However, choosing the right laptop for a data scientist can be very complex as you need to take several aspects and factors into consideration.
Hence, before proceeding further, you must understand that a majority of data-specific activities are initiated on a remote server and the computer mainly acts as an intermediary.
It goes without saying that the realm of data science has one of the most computing hardware-intensive requirements. And it’s not fair to generalize different types of data science-related computing requirements as equal.
The absence of internet connectivity where you might need a responsive OS, faster processor (of course not the Intel Core i9), and enviable amounts of storage for more balanced performance is a necessity for a suitable Laptop.
Also, if you’re a student, you would be performing most of the tasks on your computing machine itself. Besides that, Data Scientists use several applications and tools to analyze datasets, databases, and more.
Many professionals often require access to SQL management resources like Workbench and prototyping tools like Anaconda for simplifying their work.
Which laptop should I buy for data science?
The best laptop for data science for well-heeled pros is the HP ZBook 15 G5. This data-demon lets you enjoy Windows 10 Pro 64, 9th Generation Intel Core i7 and Core i9 (6-core) processors, and up to a blistering 128GB of DDR4 RAM. That’s enough to zip through the heaviest R modeling jobs with ease.
What kind of computer do I need for data science?
You’ll need a good CPU, ideally with many cores like a Xeon type processor. Lots of RAM is a definite requirement. it’s not uncommon to see Data Scientists purchasing 64 or even 128GB of RAM, and sometimes that’s not even enough!
How much RAM do I need for data science?
The minimum ram that you would require on your machine would be 8 GB. However 16 GB of RAM is recommended for faster processing of neural networks and other heavy machine learning algorithms as it would significantly speed up the computation time.
Which OS is best for data science?
Linux Vs Windows: Which Is The Best OS For Data Scientists?
- There is no conflict that Linux is a better option than Windows for programmers.
- 90% of the world’s fastest supercomputers run on Linux, compared to the 1% on Windows.
- Linux has many software choices when it comes to doing a specific task compared to Windows.
- Linux is highly flexible.
- The Linux OS is free.
Is 8gb RAM enough for data analysis?
This is the most basic laptop for pretty much any type of data analysis and it’s the ideal for those getting starting with Data Analysis too especially students doing research or taking classes w/ Data Analysis.
RAM sitting at 8GB is enough simple statistical and ML/DL models of small data sets.
Is Windows good for data science?
The reason behind it is that spoiler alert usually the Mac is the preferred choice of most data scientists.
So most software companies care a lot about making their products work well on Macs. If you have a Windows computer, my recommendation is to use Windows 10 and install Linux (Ubuntu) on it, too.
Which Linux is used for data science?
So, there is no specific Linux Distribution for the Data Scientists. You can use any Linux Distro to run Apache Hadoop and other relevant software programs as long as they are available on the Linux.
Ubuntu is perfect for any users with Strong Support. But, you can try out the Fedora and Mint if you want a new UI.
The requirement for the best laptop for data science
Before you move on to check out the laptops in the list, we recommend going through the minimum requirement list so as to better prepare yourself in making an informed decision.
- CPU – A core i7 CPU will be a good value for money as it can work for most types of data science-related requirements. A core i7 or i9 CPU with multi-threaded performance is good for compiling, simulation, dataset analysis, model training, and other such tasks.
- GPU – A good graphic processing performance is equally important for intensive data science-related tasks such as deep learning model training, model simulation, etc. Look for a dedicated GPU that has at least 2 GB of RAM.
- RAM – Multitasking such as using different tools, working on one or more coding languages, and using a browser for web research requires high bandwidth RAM. 16 GB RAM is the minimum recommendation.
- Storage – Storing large-sized, multiple datasets require plenty of storage space. Look for a minimum of 512 GB of SSD storage. 1 TB HDD storage will help you store all your important files, documents, programs, and tools in a consolidated way.
- Connectivity – A good combination of connectivity options, including Thunderbolt 3 port, USB Type-A port, mini display port, and an HDMI port, will help you customize your laptop the way you want.
Best Laptop Computer for Data Science | 2020
1. Dell i5577-5335BLK-PUS Inspiron 15″ Full HD Gaming Laptop – 7th Gen Intel Core i5
Helping you to keep the record of data at a really fast pace, with almost no complaints of hanging; this Dell laptop is the best pick for the data scientists. With great specifications and even better price, this graphically superior laptop is surely a bargain.
- 7th Generation Intel Core i5-7300HQ Quad-Core (6MB Cache, up to 3.5 GHz)
- 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 up to 32GB
- 256GB Solid State Drive, No Optical Drive option
- 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080)
- Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
- Dedicated 4GB Graphic Card- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
- Superior sound quality with the Wave MaxxAudio.
2. Apple 15″ MacBook Pro, Retina, Touch Bar, 2.9GHz Intel Core i7 Quad-Core, MPTT2LL/A
Known for its sleek design and great performance, Apple MacBook Pro takes the performance and portability to an all-new level. The amazingly fast performance of this laptop makes it a great choice for professional jobs like 3D modeling and is great for software like IBM SPSS, for the trouble-free functioning of data scientists! The data security with Apple is, of course, the highest! So, if you work with data that needs to be safe, this one is a fine buy.
- 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
- 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
- 512GB SSD storage
- Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB memory
- Touch Bar and Touch ID
3. Lenovo Ideapad Y700 17 Laptop – Core i7-6700HQ
Lenovo is known for its superior performance, and this laptop is proof. For your every high-end task, including 3D rendering, this laptop is worth every penny spent. It is easy to pocket and is loaded with every feature to offer you high-class performance.
- 6th Generation Intel Core i7-6700HQ Processor (2.60GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
- 17.3″ FHD IPS Anti-Glare with integrated camera (1920×1080)
- 16.0GB PC4-17000 DDR4 2133 MHz
- 512GB Solid State Drive / Windows 10 Home 64
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB Graphics Card
4. ASUS VivoBook Thin and Light Gaming Laptop, 15.6″ Full HD, Intel Core i7-7700HQ – M580VD-EB76
This stylish and lightweight laptop is jampacked with all great features to makes it perfect for high-end tasks. The sleek design is an additional hit to the otherwise overall great congestion-free experience.
- Powerful 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ quad-core 2.8GHz (Turbo up to 3.8GHz)
- Standard voltage for full performance
- 15.6″ Full HD color rich, anti-glare display
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4GB graphics
- 15″ wide and 0.8″ ultra-thin chassis for a portable & slim footprint
- Illuminated keyboard
- Harman/Kardon certified audio
- Dual-fan thermal design
- Lightning-fast dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi
- 16GB DDR4 RAM and 256GB M.2 SATA3 SSD + 1TB HDD
- Windows 10
- Comprehensive connections with USB 3.1 Type-C (Gen1), USB 3.1 Type-A, USB 2.0, & HDMI
5. Dell XPS9560-7001SLV-PUS 15.6″ Ultra-Thin and Light Laptop with 4K touchscreen display, 7th Gen Core i7 (up to 3.8 GHz), 16GB, 512GB SSD, Nvidia Gaming GPU GTX 1050, Aluminum Chassis
Say hi to the world’s only 15.6” InfinityEdge display! Dell brings to you the luxury of infinity display in an ultra-slim design. This laptop is a great choice for the ones who love sleek and sophisticated designs and want a hand at great performance too.
- 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad-Core Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.8 GHz)
- 16 GB DDR4-2400MHz up to 32GB
- 512GB PCIe Solid State Drive
- 15.6-inch 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge touch display
- Windows 10 Home 64bit
6. Lenovo 320 Business Laptop PC 15.6″ FHD (1920×1080) Display Intel i7-7500U 2.7GHz Processor
Lenovo has always been a trademark of quality, and so is this laptop. If you want a really smooth and fast working experience, this laptop is for you.
- 15.6-inch Anti-glare FHD resolution 1920×1080 Widescreen Display
- NVIDIA GeForce 940MX with 2GB GDDR5 Video Memory
- Dolby Audio Dual Speaker
- Powered by 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7500U 2.7GHz (4M Cache, Up to 3.5GHz)
- Smart dual-core
- Four-way processing performance for HD-quality computing
- 12GB DDR4 2133MHz system memory (4GB+8GB)
- 256GB Solid State Drive
- 802.11ac Wireless LAN
- Bluetooth 4.1, 2 x USB 3.0 Type-A,1 x USB 3.0 Type-C, 1 x Headphone/Microphone Combo Jack, 4-in-1 (SD, SDHC, SDXC, MMC) Media Card Reader, 1x HDMI
- Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
7. Acer Aspire R 15 2-in-1 Laptop, 15.6″ Full HD Touch, 7th Gen Intel Core i7, GeForce 940MX, 12GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, R5-571TG-7229
Experience the luxury of working with this 360-degree laptop. Work the way you want to! The excellent performance of the laptop makes it a great pick for anybody who is looking for an in-budget laptop. This sure is a fast and friendly laptop!
- 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7500U Processor (Up to 3.5GHz)
- 15.6″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) Multi-touch widescreen LED-backlit IPS display
- NVIDIA GeForce 940MX with 2GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM
- 12GB DDR4 Memory, 256GB SSD. Supports SDXC card reader
- Up to 9-hours Battery Life
- Windows 10 Home
8. HP 15.6″ HD Touchscreen Notebook, 8th Gen Intel Core i7-8550U Processor up to 4.00 GHz, 8GB DDR4, 256 GB M.2 SSD, DVD RW, Webcam, Bluetooth, Windows 10 Home
HP has always been one great choice when choosing for intensive work. You can count on them to never let you down. The 8th Gen, quad-core Intel Core i7-8550U processor haves this laptop blazing fast and efficient. It has a really quick boot and is very smooth to work on. It is loaded with some great specifications and is amazingly pocket-friendly.
- 8th Gen, quad-core Intel Core i7-8550U processor
- 15.6″ touchscreen, 1366 x 768 resolution
- LED backlighting keyboard
- 8GB available memory. 250GB SSD
- Wireless-AC (802.11ac)
- Windows 10
The Above list comprises of the best laptops for data science that are available in the market currently. With some great specifications, these laptops are has a multifaceted personality. You can use these for other activities like quick browsing, enjoying games, video chatting as well as operating various applications related to data science and data analysis. Good luck guy!!!