Discover top scholarships in Canada for Nigerian students. These Canadian scholarships are funds by institutions, governments and other bodies that are interested in extending quality education, for students from low income homes.
Over the years, a growing number of eligible and qualified students have been seeking Canadian scholarships designed for Nigerians and other international students. This page serves as an extensive guide to the plethora of scholarship opportunities available for Nigerian students in Canada, covering both existing and upcoming applications for the 2022 academic year.
To kickstart your exploration, you can use this link to check all current scholarships in Canada for international students, providing a comprehensive overview. Additionally, for a list of universities in Canada without any application fees, you can check full list here; as securing admission is often a prerequisite for many scholarships.
Understanding the institutions, admission requirements, and career opportunities for international students is crucial. This guide encompasses scholarships from various organizations, Canadian governments, and other entities aiming to support students from different nations.
Choosing Canada for education comes with several compelling reasons:
Breaking! Start Getting current updates on profitable skills, and top career opportunities with Jobreaders.org - Click Here to Subscribe Free.
- Opportunities for Well-Paid Jobs:
- Studying in Canada increases your chances of securing well-paid jobs.
- High-Quality Education:
- Canada offers education of comparable quality to that of Nigeria and many other African countries.
- Respect and Embrace:
- Students in Canada experience respect and acceptance both in their local communities and workplaces.
- International Networking:
- Studying in Canada provides the opportunity to connect with people from diverse countries such as India, China, Asia, and Africa.
- Cultural Exposure:
- Canadian universities facilitate learning about Western and foreign cultures.
- Affordable Tuition Fees:
- Canadian university tuition fees are generally lower compared to universities in other parts of the world.
- Global Recognition:
- Canadian university certificates are widely accepted worldwide.
- Shorter Course Duration:
- Course durations in Canada are often shorter than those in other African countries.
How to Apply for Scholarships to Study in Canada?
Applying for scholarships to study in Canada involves a systematic process. Here’s a general guide to help you navigate through the application procedure:
1. Research and Identify Scholarships:
- Begin by researching and identifying scholarships that align with your academic goals, field of study, and personal circumstances. Consider factors such as eligibility criteria, application requirements, and deadlines.
2. Check Eligibility:
- Carefully review the eligibility criteria for each scholarship. Ensure that you meet the specific requirements, including academic achievements, extracurricular activities, and any other criteria set by the scholarship provider.
3. Explore Scholarship Databases:
- Utilize scholarship databases and official university websites to explore available opportunities. Websites like Scholarship Canada, the official Canadian government website, and individual university scholarship pages are valuable resources.
4. Prepare Required Documents:
- Gather all the necessary documents, which may include:
- Academic transcripts
- Letters of recommendation
- Personal statement or essay
- Resume or curriculum vitae (CV)
- Proof of language proficiency (if required)
- Any additional documents specified by the scholarship provider
5. Secure Admission to a Canadian Institution:
- Many scholarships require you to secure admission to a Canadian educational institution before applying. Ensure you meet the admission requirements and deadlines for your chosen program.
6. Create an Online Profile:
- Some scholarships may require you to create an online profile on the scholarship provider’s website. Follow the instructions provided and provide accurate and up-to-date information.
7. Fill Out Scholarship Applications:
- Complete the scholarship application form thoroughly and accurately. Pay attention to details, and follow the guidelines provided by the scholarship provider. Be concise and showcase your achievements effectively.
8. Write a Compelling Personal Statement or Essay:
- If the scholarship requires a personal statement or essay, take the time to craft a compelling and well-written piece. Clearly express your goals, motivations, and how the scholarship will contribute to your academic and career aspirations.
9. Obtain Letters of Recommendation:
- If letters of recommendation are required, request them well in advance. Choose individuals who can speak to your academic achievements, character, and potential for success.
10. Proofread and Edit:
- Before submitting your application, carefully proofread all documents to ensure they are free of errors. Consider seeking feedback from teachers, mentors, or peers to enhance the quality of your application.
11. Submit Applications on Time:
- Be mindful of application deadlines. Submit your scholarship applications well before the closing date to avoid any issues. Late submissions are often not considered.
12. Follow Up:
- After submitting your applications, monitor your email and any communication channels for updates. Some scholarships may require additional information or may conduct interviews as part of the selection process.
13. Explore Alternative Funding Sources:
- While waiting for scholarship results, explore alternative funding sources such as part-time work, internships, or other financial aid options.
14. Be Persistent and Seek Guidance:
- If you face challenges during the application process, don’t hesitate to seek guidance from university advisors, career counselors, or scholarship support services.
Remember, each scholarship may have unique requirements, so adapt your approach based on the specific guidelines provided by the scholarship providers. Good luck with your scholarship applications!
The guide aims to unearth known opportunities, providing details on application times and entry methods.
Scholarships in Canada for Nigerian Students
Here are 9 examples of scholarships where students from Nigeria may be eligible:
- Conestoga College International Entrance Scholarship:
- Administered by Conestoga College’s Student Financial Services.
- Over 400 awards, bursaries, and scholarships worth more than $3.8 million annually.
- E.O. International Peace Scholarship (I.P.S.):
- Established in 1949 for selected women from other countries.
- Supports graduate studies in the United States and Canada.
- Ted Rogers Scholarships:
- Created in honor of Ted Rogers to help young leaders across Canada.
- Awards up to $10,000 each to recipients of the Ted Rogers School of Management Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships.
- Quest University Scholarship for International Students:
- Available for pursuing an undergraduate program at Quest University Canada.
- Unique in awarding studies within the university alone.
- International U.B.C. Future Forests Fellowships:
- Offers the largest single grant (up to $280,000) for a forestry student at the University of British Columbia.
- University of Winnipeg Manitoba Graduate Scholarships (M.G.S.):
- Open to students applying for a full-time Master’s Degree at the University of Winnipeg.
- Winners receive $15,000 for 12 months.
- York University International Entrance Scholarships:
- Invites outstanding young students for Bachelor studies at York University.
- Emphasizes York University’s global recognition.
- Algonquin College Scholarship For International Students:
- Announced annually for selected programs in Canada.
- Awards the best all-around graduating student with 16 x $3000 Entrance Scholarships.
- Dalhousie University Master and Ph.D. Scholarship:
- Open for eligible candidates pursuing Master’s and Ph.D. programs.
- Scholarship worth $30,000 for a year.
- Application Information: Visit review web page
Note: You can also gain access to over 389 ongoing local and international scholarships by visiting this the general scholarship category page, to select based on your academic interests.
- $278,750 Knights of Columbus Scholarships 2024 (Apply Now)
- 2024 Dalhousie University Review | Admission & Scholarships
- 2024 Secondary School Scholarships in Nigeria (Guides)
While these highlighted scholarships are among the most applied for, they represent just a portion of the opportunities available for Nigerian students to study in Canada. For the latest updates on career opportunities, subscribe to the newsletter or like the page for regular updates. For current application details, leave a comment below this post.
Can a Nigerian apply for scholarship in Canada?
Absolutely! Nigerian students have the fantastic opportunity to apply for scholarships in Canada. There’s an array of scholarships specifically tailored for Nigerian students, opening doors to top-notch education and the chance to immerse themselves in the enriching academic and cultural landscape of Canada. It’s a golden opportunity to pursue higher education and broaden horizons.
Is Canada still accepting Nigerians?
Yes, Nigerians who wish to study, work or live in Canada can start and complete every mandatory requirements within the stipulated time. Canada is one of the many countries in the world with admirable number of Nigerian students, skilled workers and other residents. However, more countries open their arms for forigners who desire to work, study or live in their countries.
At Jobreaders.org, we are committed to making data-based research, and also providing you with best skills, and information about current career opportunities. Stay up to date by subscribing to our free email newsletters.
What is the Minimum Bank Balance Required for Canada Student Visa from Nigeria?
To secure a Canada student visa from Nigeria, a minimum bank balance of $10,000 CAD is required. This amount is crucial to cover daily expenses while awaiting a decision from Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
Additionally, if you’re planning to study in Canada, it’s essential to demonstrate a minimum financial capacity of at least $25,000 CAD. This ensures that you meet the necessary financial requirements for your education journey in Canada.
What are the Average Costs of Studying in Canada, as a Nigerian student?
The cost of studying in Canada varies based on the program. Here’s a breakdown of the average annual fees in CAD:
- Undergraduate Program:
- Range: $13,000 to $20,000
- Postgraduate Master’s Degree:
- Range: $17,000 to $25,000
- Doctoral Degree:
- Range: $7,000 to $15,000
- MBA (Master of Business Administration):
- Range: $30,000 to $40,000
These figures provide a general overview of the annual expenses associated with different study programs in Canada. Keep in mind that specific universities and programs may have variations in fees.
Is NECO Accepted for Admission in Canada?
Yes! Canadian universities, such as Brandon University, readily consider NECO results for admissions into undergraduate studies. Presenting your NECO certificate opens doors to opportunities for provisional offers and other admission processes in Canada. Embrace the chance to showcase your academic achievements through NECO as you embark on your educational journey in Canada. However, you will need to identify these schools, to communicate your interest.