With the VLIR-UOS Scholarships, students from disadvantaged and developing countries can get to study in one of the best universities in Belgium. This is no sweet-mouthed statement is definitely real and legit what to do is to check
All you need do is to check out your country if she’s qualified to be part of the eligible countries to apply for the Scholarship.
You don’t have to worry about tuition because the scholarship has covered the costs of the academic program in the Flanders
The system awards scholarships to students and professionals from a number of countries to study in Flanders (Belgium) as well as travel grants to Flemish/European students to do fieldwork/internships in one of the 31 scholarship countries in Africa, Asia, or Latin America.
Qualified countries for VLIR-UOS Scholarships
Africa: Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Guinea, Cameroon, Kenya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, South Africa, and Niger
Asia: Cambodia, Philippines, Indonesia, Palestinian Territories, and Vietnam
Latin America: Bolivia, Cuba, Ecuador, Guatemala, Haiti, Nicaragua, and Peru
International Training Program (ITP)
This platform is an intensive three months teaching and research program for post-graduate students and researchers in urban studies and planning.
It is offered by the KU Leuven Departments of Architecture, Earth, and Environmental Sciences, in collaboration with the research units P&D, OSA and Geography and Tourism, and over twenty academic partners. This program has been in existence for over 23 years and still counting.
- A candidate should be both a national and a resident of one of the 31 eligible countries
- Note that priority is given to candidates who are employed in these following areas;
- Academic institutions
- Research institutes
- The social economy or NGOs
Also, consideration is given to candidates who aim to have a career in one of these sectors above.
- The training candidate should have relevant professional experience and a support letter confirming (re)integration in a professional context where the acquired knowledge and skills will be immediately applicable
- Candidates who are working at a university where we already fund IUC, TEAM, or SI projects, can receive an ITP-ICP scholarship if they clearly motivate the reason for their application
- Other VLIR-UOS scholarship applications and previously awarded scholarships: A potential candidate can only submit one scholarship application with us per year irrespective of the type of Scholarships
- IELTS 6.5/TOEFL 575 (Paper Based – PBT)/ TOEFL 233 (Computer Based – CBT)/TOEFL 90 (Internet Based – IBT) or sufficient proof of language proficiency is required for the students whose language isn’t English
Related Post: Top Universities accepting IELTS Score 6 in Europe
- Check the eligibility criteria for an ITP scholarship
- Apply for a training programme of your choice
- Mention as part of your training application that you wish to apply for a scholarship
- Applications that candidates submit directly to our organization, will not be taken into consideration
- You can only apply for one training programme per year
- We receive the selection results of the program
What is an ICP?
International master programs are accredited master programs consisting of 2 or 4 semesters on a subject that is relevant to or specific for sustainable development. The platform offers it full support to a selection of 15 ICPs and provide 12 scholarships per ICP programme.
- A candidate should be a national and resident of one of the 31 eligible countries at the time of the application.
- The maximum age for a master’s program candidate is 35 for an initial master and 45 for an advanced master.
- Priority is given to candidates who are employed in academic institutions, research institutes, governments, the social economy or NGOs, or who aim at a career in one of these sectors.
- Master candidates employed in the profit sector or newly graduated candidates without any work experience can be eligible for the scholarship as well, depending on their motivation and profile.
- A candidate can only submit one VLIR-UOS Scholarships application per year, irrespective of the scholarship type, and thus, can only be selected for one of the VLIR-UOS Scholarships per year.
- The Master program candidate has never received a scholarship from the Belgian government to attend a master program or equivalent before the first of January of the intake year
- Motivation : What motivates to apply for the scholarship is essential to the selection process. Why? This really gives insight into your true intentions after securing the scholarship. The outstanding performance in academics is not the only criterion here. Also, your intentions to become a tool for sustainable development must be transparent. Only then can you be certain the scholarship at your fingertip.
- Professional experience: Remember that attention will be given to candidates who can demonstrate a higher possibility of implementing and giving back to their home country the knowledge they gained. Candidates can as well invest back their knowledge in the social economy, government sector, and research institution.
- Gender : Firstly, you need to know that there are no age gender boundaries here. Obviously, the VLIR-UOS Scholarships are for both males and females. But lately, ladies have been less than the number of males applying for the scholarship. Therefore, the system encourages the female to apply for the scholarship.
- Regional balance : The platform is fair and encouraging in such a way that it ensures a balance between every region. 50% of the scholarships are given to the candidates from Least Developed Countries thus making it balanced.
- Social background: Also, if there is ever a situation where two equally candidates qualified, preference will be given to the less privileged or disadvantaged area within their home country.
- Previously awarded a scholarship: These VLIR-UOS Scholarships can only be applied once, so, therefore, anyone applying more than once will not receive attention.
What is the application procedure?
- Check the eligibility criteria for a scholarship.
- If you meet all the criteria, have a look at the selected master programs.
- If a specific programme catches your interest, visit the website of the organizing university and follow its instructions.
- Do not apply for more than one master programme per year.
- The deadlines are determined by the programme.
- We receive the selection results of the programme organizers
The masters programs vary but it’s made up of two sector which are The One-year master programs and the two year master programs
Below you will get the list of Masters Courses for both the one year and two years master programs;
The One-year master programs
- Human Settlements (KU Leuven) – Deadline: 01/02/2021
- Cultural Anthropology and Development Studies (KU Leuven) – Deadline: 01/02/2021
- Development Evaluation and Management (University of Antwerp) – Deadline: 01/02/2021
- Governance and Development (University of Antwerp) – Deadline: 01/02/2021
- Globalization and Development (University of Antwerp) – Deadline: 01/02/2021
The two years of master programs
- Science in Food Technology (KU Leuven, Ghent University) – Deadline: 01/02/2020
- Water Resources Engineering (KU Leuven, VUB) – Deadline: 01/02/2020
- Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management (VUB, Ghent
University, University of Antwerp) – Deadline: 01/02/2020
- Statistics (University of Hasselt) – Deadline: 01/02/202
- Epidemiology (University of Antwerp) – Deadline: 01/03/2021
- Sustainable Development (KU Leuven) – Deadline: 01/02/2021
- Agro- and Environmental Nematology (Ghent University) – Deadline online application: 03/01/2021 – deadline hard copies: 16/01/2021
- Rural Development (Ghent University) – Deadline online application: 21/02/2021 – deadline hard copies: 28/02/2021
- Aquaculture (Ghent University) – Deadline: 01/03/2021
- Transportation Sciences (University of Hasselt) – Deadline: 01/02/2021
Related Post: How to Secure Fully Funded Scholarships Online in 2020