The Desmond Tutu Church of Scotland Masters Scholarship for African Students is mainly for full-time basis students who are accepted for a one year postgraduate Masters programme of study within the School of Divinity. The scholarship is a fully-funded scholarship to study at the University of Edinburgh.
The awardee must have the official endorsement from the General Secretary or Principal Clerk of their Church.
The scholarship was set up in 2009 in honor of the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Divinity conferred by the University on the Most Reverend Desmond Tutu.
However, during the graduation ceremony, Archbishop Tutu spoke of the historic links between Africa and the University of Edinburgh: “Some of our first black physicians were people who had trained here and there is a long tradition that links this university with our part of the world.”
However, applicants for this award must be a member of the Scotland partner church in Africa.
Breaking! Start Getting current updates on profitable skills, and top career opportunities with Jobreaders.org - Click Here to Subscribe Free.
Scotland partner churches in Africa are:
- Evangelical Presbyterian Church, Ghana
- Presbyterian Church of Ghana
- Presbyterian Church of East Africa
- Synod of the Nile of the Evangelical Church of Egypt
- Church of Central Africa Presbyterian
- Igreja Evangelica de Cristo em Mocambique
- Presbyterian Church of Nigeria
- Presbyterian Church of South Sudan
- The Programme of Christian Muslim Relations in Africa’
- United Church of Zambia
- Uniting Presbyterian Church of Southern Africa
The benefits of the Scholarship
This award is only valid for one academic year and it includes;
- Full overseas tuition fee
- Accommodation within a Church of Scotland flat within Edinburgh
- £500 per calendar month for living costs
- Visa costs
- One return airfare
- Also, Insurance from Church of Scotland business travel, underwritten by Aviva.
There are other scholarships for postgraduates that may interest you as a masters’ student. Such as Full Master Scholarships for International Students in the USA
Desmond Tutu Church of Scotland Masters Scholarship Eligibility
- The candidates must be:
- Member of any of the Scotland partner churches listed above
- Have also accepted the full-time basis for a one year postgraduate Masters programme of study within the School of Divinity.
- The awardee must, however, have the official endorsement from the General Secretary or Principal Clerk of their Church.
Applying for the Desmond Tutu Church of Scotland Masters Scholarship
How-to-Apply for Desmond Tutu Church of Scotland Masters Scholarship for African Students:
Qualified candidates must apply for admission into the University of Edinburgh.
Also, for a candidate to gain entry into the scholarship system; the candidates must,however, have applied for admission to the University of Edinburgh.
However, the system takes up to ten working days to analyze, process, and grant access.
Moreover, eligible candidates for the Desmond Tutu Church of Scotland Masters Scholarships should complete an online scholarship application located in EUCLID.
And can be accessed via MyEd their web-based information portal at https://www.myed.ed.ac.uk
Application deadline for Desmond Tutu Church of Scotland Masters Scholarships
In conclusion, the deadline for the application for the Desmond tutu scholarship is on 5th April 2021.
Also, there are many other scholarship opportunities such as;