Studying at Durham can be a dream come true with the Durham University Vice-Chancellor Scholarship. This is a wonderful scholarship for those interested in the fields of Art, Music, and Sports as an undergraduate.
Planning to study at Durham University? then this article is for you. Get the best package of studying your course with a Durham University Vice-Chancellor Scholarship.
In this blog post, I will take you through what is required of you to secure such a wonderful scholarship.
Before taking you into what the scholarship is all about, let’s know a little about Durham University.
Related post: University of Oxford (London) | acceptance rate
Durham University located in Durham, England was founded in 1832. In the English circle, it is known as the first recognized university to open in England for more than 600 years after Oxford and Cambridge.
From research, we have found out that it is the third-oldest university in England.
It is a collegiate university. This is why its main functions are divided between the academic departments of its university grounds and the 17 colleges within its collegiate.
The university is run in a chancellor administrative manner. The chancellor holds the highest authority and is only seconded by the vice-chancellor.
The current chancellor is Sir Thomas Allen and the Vice-chancellor is Stuart Cambridge.
To buttress more on the value of the university, they are a member of the Russell Group of British research Universities . And also affiliated with the regional N8 Research Partnership.
They have strong ties with international university bodies such as the Matariki Network of Universities and the Coimbra Group.
The administration has always been innovation and excellence-driven and that’s why they have set the pace for the increase of the university in academic terms.
Related post: Tufts Acceptance Rate – Cost and Admission Information
Durham University Vice-Chancellor Scholarship
Durham works towards creating an environment in which academic excellence can be combined with opportunities for personal development. Amongst the ways the students develop their personal development levels is by taking part in a wide variety of sports.
The Durham University Vice-Chancellor Scholarship is a medium for students who are great in sports, music, and the Arts to benefit. The scholarship worth is £2,000 per academic session. This scholarship is available for those who will be commencing their studies in the 2020/2021 session.
If you are from one of the Ethnic Minority groups and you come from a neighborhood and family of low income, then I advise you to apply for this opportunity. You even stand a great chance because of that.
Here are the Eligibility checks for the Durham University Vice-Chancellor Scholarship:
These aspects if met, will increase your chances of getting the scholarship
- Your fees/ tuition status must be up to date
- You must be an undergraduate
- Your educational enrollment must be on a full-time status
Types of the Durham University Vice-Chancellor Scholarship
The types of Durham University vice-chancellor scholarship are spread over three categories namely Sports, Arts, and Music. Let’s take a look at each of those categories:
Durham University has appeared several times in newspaper publications as regards sports. Amongst the notable ones is the publication of The Times and Sunday Times sports university of the Year 2015. Durham has been known for producing world-class athletes.
The target sports for the Durham University Vice-Chancellor Scholarship are:
- Water Polo
While applying you are advised to identify your chosen sports discipline on your scholarship application form.
Lately, Durham University has been coming up in the musical world, and to reward this the scholarship has also included this aspect. If you are amongst the high performing artist or composer, you are advised to apply.
This is really easy and helpful for those with a musical background from environments such as chapel choir, orchestras, brass bands opera, and conductors.
Last but not least is the art field. If you are quite good at art then I implore you to apply for this as it would be highly beneficial to you.
The sections of art that are involved in the Durham University vice-chancellor scholarship for arts are as follows:
- Creative Arts
- Creative writing
- On stage Drama
Apply for this scholarship if you are amongst those that excel in the artistic field.
How to apply?
To apply for this scholarship, there are some steps required for it. Let’s look at it in two steps.
- The first stage requires you to submit an academic application to Durham University via UCAS which is an online platform for applications. To do this visit https://www.ucas.com/
- Submit an online application form. This application form must contain the following below:
- A personal statement of not more than 4,000 characters explaining why you should be awarded the Durham University Vice-Chancellor Scholarship.
- If you are applying for the music scholarship, you are required to provide a YouTube link to at least 2 different pieces of music works you have done. The videos should be 3 minutes in duration
- When applying for an Arts Scholarship please provide a maximum of a 7-page A4 portfolio and have it sent to email@example.com. If this isn’t available then provide a YouTube link to a 5-minute video demonstrating your experience.
- Lastly, you need to provide a reference of not more than 1,000 words from a suitable adult at your school. These persons can be in the form of your teacher, coach, conductor of an ensemble in which you play. Even a director of art production you have been involved in can write a reference for you. These referees should in those 1,000 words explain why you are suitable for the Durham University vice-chancellor scholarship. This write up should be sent from your referee email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your referee must also send this in a letter headed paper which contains their name, position, contact details, and your full name.
To put the icing on the cake, you need to understand that the Durham University Vice-Chancellor Scholarship is an authentic and beneficial one to those who get it. If you fall into any of the categories then, I advise you to apply.
For more informative articles such as this, subscribe to the jobreaders newsletter.