It is important to get quality and reliable information about the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) Admission and acceptance rate as you consider your choices for the best fashion schools and what you stand to achieve.
This post will be your guide in this quest.
A brief history of the Fashion Institute of Technology(FIT).
Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) was founded in the year 1944 by a group of industry members.
They were led by Mortimer C. Ritter, an educator with an interest in programs basically for young working people, and Max Mayer, a retired menswear manufacturer who was determined to organize a learning environment to ensure the vitality of their business.
One of its goals is to prepare men and women for work in the fashion industry as it grows in both scope and size.
After seven years, FIN became the second community college of the State University New York.
It was also the first to grant the Associate in Applied science degree in New York City.
As time goes on, the curricula expanded beyond fashion to other areas such as communication, art, design among others, the college’s degree offering also expanded.
An amendment to the education law of New York was approved in 1975.
This gave FIT the opportunity to confer Bachelor of Fine Art and Bachelor of Science degrees.
Amazingly, another amendment four years later authorized the institute the granting of master’s programs in 1985.
Presently, Fit offers 48-degree programs in both design and business fields.
Today, over 9000 U.S citizens and international students are enrolled in the school’s divers’ curricula.
This achievement has made New York City their focal point.
What is the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) known for?
One of the best locally and internationally recognized fashion schools in New York, globally known for its designs, communication, art, fashion, and business is FIN.
They are known for their unique, rigorous, adaptable academic programming, experimental learning opportunities, academic and industrial partnerships, innovations, entrepreneurship, and commitment to research in order to keep the school’s visions.
As the global fashion market keeps changing, FIT changes also with the fashion trend.
Reports have gathered that as one of the institution’s mandates, FIT is committed to preparing her students for not just success, but greater success at every point in time, starting from haute couture to ready-to-wear to mass market for 65years.
What are the missions and visions of the Fashion Institute of Technology?
The Technological Institute, has mind-blowing visions and missions. Some of which are;
- To prepare their students for professional excellence in fashion, design, and business.
- To impart a global perspective, foster creativity, inspire leaders.
- To educate students to embrace inclusiveness, commit to sustainability, and engage with the community.
- It helps the students connect with industry leaders at guest lectures and industry events, this builds a network of valuable contacts between industries and the students.
- The institution is strongly committed to creating an environment that will attract, retain, and promote racial and cultural backgrounds.
- FIT also strongly prohibits discrimination whether on the bases of gender, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, ethnic backgrounds, etc. in its employment programs and activities
Is the Fashion Institute of technology a good school?
The Fashion Institute is one of the best school to attend since it offers the following;
- Academic and creative excellence.it provides a rigorous learning experience that is built on the highest academic standards, an environment that promotes creativity, experimentation, and diverse experimental learning with a variety of industry partners.
- The college has been working, is still working, and will continue to work with industries worldwide to help address key challenges and also build stronger innovation and entrepreneurial centers, establish collaborations that translate creative ideas into actions.
- It helps students to build an inclusive community in which students engage with, learn from, and also inspire one another, discovering how their differences as well as their similarities promote creativity, understanding, personal growth, and intellectual growth hence, empowering the student community.
What are the scholarship chances at the Fashion Institute of Technology?
FIN offers over 35study abroad scholarships worth $1000 to $6000.
This includes Global Scholar Award, Gladys Marcus International scholarship, Lattuada Scholarship, FIT Italy Scholarship, and Program-Specific Scholarships.
Details on the scholarship awards can be found on the institution’s website: fitnyc.edu/studyabroad.
Is Fashion Institute of Technology a 4-year course?
The Fashion Institute is a state University of New York College. It offers a 2+2 curriculum.
It is designed to allow students to apply directly from high school to begin a two-year associate’s degree (AAS) program.
After which students may proceed to apply for one of the FIT’s two-year Bachelor’s degree (BS/BFA) programs.
The institute also offers a master’s degree (MA/MFA/MPS) in selected programs.
Do I need to choose a major before I can apply to FIT?
For any application to be considered by the admission management of the Fashion Institute of Technology, YES.
Interesting candidates must select one major before submitting their application for admission.
Applicants are not allowed to choose a double major or unclear major.
What requirements /GPA do I need to be admitted to FIT?
The admissions committee does not only look at the individual grades of applicants but also looks thoroughly into the candidates overall academic performance, as well as and the types of courses taken.
Consideration is given to applicants with a strong B average. Students are therefore advised to take a college-preparatory curriculum in high school.
This might include AP, IB, honors, and regents (for NYS students) classes.
For students coming from another college, the management prefers a solid academic achievement in core liberal arts classes.
NOTE: FIT’s applicants are advised to start the application as soon as the State University of New York (SUNY) Application becomes available.
Does the Fashion Institute of Technology require SAT scores, ACT scores, and interviews?
Gaining admission into the FIT, does not require SAT and ACT test.
Interviews are also not required for admission purposes. However, they are required for the presidential scholars (Honors) program.
Placement into the candidate’s English and mathematics classes also requires SAT and ACT tests.
International applicants who have not taken the SAT or Act test can also take placement tests before registering for English, science, and mathematics courses.
What is the acceptance rate for FIT?
The rate at which the Fashion Institute of Technology absorbs candidates into its programs is one of the basic reasons why the institution has an influx of candidates annually.
As of 2019, FIT had an acceptance rate of 52.7%. This is indeed very high compared to some of the fashion schools in New York.