The Gates Scholarship 2020 is a highly selective, last-dollar scholarship for exceptional, Pell-eligible, minority, high school seniors.
The scholarship was established in 2018 and awards 300 top student leaders each year with the intent of promoting their academic excellence through college graduation and providing them the opportunity to reach their full potential.
You can also learn more about the scholarship by watching this video.
Scholars will receive funding for the full cost of attendance* that is not already covered by other financial aid and the expected family contribution, as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or the methodology used by a Scholar’s college or university.
*Cost of attendance includes tuition, fees, room, board, books, and transportation, and may include other personal costs.
Application Deadline for Gates Scholarship 2020
The previous application deadline for the 2019 scholarship started on July 15, 2019. The current pandemic might have altered the schedules for the 2020 application.
In this regard, we encourage you to visit the official website of the Gates scholarships for current information.
To apply, students must be:
- A high school senior
- From at least one of the following ethnicities: African-American, American Indian/Alaska Native*, Asian & Pacific Islander American, and/or Hispanic American
- A US citizen, national, or permanent resident
- In good academic standing with a minimum cumulative weighted GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent)
Additionally, a student must plan to enroll full-time, in a four-year degree program, at a US accredited, not-for-profit, private or public college or university.
*For American Indian/Alaska Native, proof of tribal enrollment will be required.
An ideal candidate for the Gates Scholarship 2020 will have:
- An outstanding academic record in high school (in the top 10% of his/her graduating class)
- Demonstrated leadership ability (e.g., as shown through participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities)
- Exceptional personal success skills (e.g., emotional maturity, motivation, perseverance, etc.)
How can I Apply for the Gates Scholarships 2020?
Following the idea of the deadline stated above, application for the 2020 Gates scholarships should start through the official website of the scheme.
Official website: https://www.thegatesscholarship.org/