Being a student of computer science is quite a feat in this generation as the world has become a global village. Google Africa PhD Fellowship Program 2021 for African Students ($30,000 Monetary Award) will be of interest to you. In recent years, computing has both expanded as a field and grown in its importance to society. If you are a student of Computer science and its related fields and seek to further your education while pursuing ambitious projects that will produce fundamental advances across organizations and the world at large, then this project is for you.
The Google PhD Fellowship Program was created to recognize outstanding graduate students doing exceptional and ingenious research in areas relevant to computer science and related fields.
This fellowship supports promising PhD candidates of all backgrounds who seek to influence the future of technology and its members are a select group recognized by Google researchers and their institutions as some of the most promising young academics in the world.
It is important to note that the program not only accepts students but also professionals who are qualified and meet the requirements.
The following fields are to be recognized for the google Africa fellowship program;
- Algorithms, Optimizations, and Markets
- Computational Neuroscience
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Machine Learning
- Machine Perception, Speech Technology and Computer Vision
- Mobile Computing
- Natural Language Processing (including Information Retrieval and Extraction)
- Privacy and Security
- Programming Languages and Software Engineering
- Quantum Computing
- Structured Data and Database Management
- Systems and Networking
ELIGIBILITY FOR GOOGLE AFRICA FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMME
For persons currently running their PhD;
- Applicants must be enrolled into a full-time PhD program at a university in Africa. Applicants who are currently in their first year of a part-time PhD program and transferring to full-time positions are also welcome to apply.
- Students should be early PhD students. This implies that the applicants for the 2021 Fellowship must have started their program on or after 1-Jan-2021.
- Students must remain enrolled in the PhD program for the duration of the Fellowship or forfeit the award.
- Applicants must be pursuing a PhD in Computer Science or related areas.
- Google employees and family members of Google employees are not eligible.
- Students who are already receiving another corporate fellowship are not eligible.
For current Undergraduate, Masters and Professionals;
- Grant of the fellowship to this category of applicants is contingent on them joining a full-time PhD program at a university in Africa within the calendar year of the award.
- Student applicants must be full-time Undergraduate or Masters students enrolled at an African university. Professionals must be employed/affiliated with an organization registered in Africa.
- The Google Fellowship award shall be contingent on the awardee registering for the full-time PhD program at an African university, in Computer Science or related areas, within the calendar year 2021, or the award shall be forfeited.
- Grant of the Google Fellowship does not mean admission to the PhD program of a university. The awardee must also complete the PhD admission process of the respective institute/university where he/she wishes to register for PhD.
- Grant of the Google Fellowship will be subject to the rules and guidelines applicable in the institute/university where the awardee registers for the PhD program.
- Google employees and family members of Google employees are not eligible
HOW TO APPLY
The application is to be conducted online in the following order;
- Applicant’s resume with links to publications (if available).
- One-page resume of the student’s PhD program advisor.
- Available transcripts (mark sheets) starting from first year/semester of Bachelor’s degree to date.
- Research proposal including references (required 2-8 pages).
- Three letters of recommendation from those familiar with the applicant’s work (at least one coming from the thesis adviser for current PhD students).
Applications are to be completed and submitted using this link https://cseduapplication.withgoogle.com/applications/phdfellowshipafrica2021/
Deadline: Applications must be submitted on or before Wednesday 21st April, 2021.