This post on How to Apply for the University of Pittsburgh’s Physical Therapy | Requirements and cost is a post you may not want to miss out on if you’re dreaming to bag a degree in Physical therapist.
We have carefully outlined all the necessary procedures for application, tuition fee, the acceptance rate, and the scholarship opportunities awaiting applicants who desire a degree in Physiotherapy from Pitts University.
What are the duties of a physiotherapist?
Physical therapy (PT), also known as physiotherapy, is one aspect of health that use evidence-based kinesiology, exercise prescription, health education, mobilization, electrical and etc. to treat acute or chronic pain, movement, and impairments resulting from injury, trauma or illness of musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, respiratory, neurological and endocrinological origins.
Physiotherapy is the aspect of medicine that fosters or improves a patient’s physical functions.
This is done via physical examination, diagnosis, prognosis, patient education, physical intervention, rehabilitation, disease prevention, and health promotion.
It is practiced by physical therapists (known as physiotherapists in many countries).
What are the mission and statements of the department of physiotherapy at the University of Pittsburgh?
The mission and vision statements of the department of physiotherapy of the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences is to advance the profession of physiotherapy and rehabilitation in general through education, academic activity, and professional service.
The mission states that:
- Offering a superior entry-level professional program that produces a competent clinician who is able to function as a cost-effective provider, who is a critical thinker, who embraces the principles of evidence-based practice, and is committed to lifelong learning and professional development;
- Engaging in research and scholarly activities that advance physiotherapy practice and rehabilitation through the extension of evidence-based practice and translational research;
- Offering advanced continuing education and post-professional degree programs adapted to the physical therapist who is interested in lifelong learning and career advancement; and
- Making available to local communities and public agencies the expertise of the faculty in ways that are responsive to the healthcare needs of Pennsylvania, as well as to the broader needs of the nation and the world and consistent with the primary teaching and research functions.
- Their graduate PTs who are prepared to be change agents in transforming health care.
The vision Statement is to graduate DPTs who are prepared to be change agents in transforming health care to achieve the Triple Aim of better care for individuals, better health for populations and communities, and lowered cost of health care through continuous quality improvement.
Why consider department physiotherapy at the University of Pittsburg?
The department is one of the oldest, and most regarded Physiotherapy education programs in the United States.
The university is committed to educating practitioners who will be pioneers in helping the community (all ages and stages of life) to overcome challenges associated with movement, and function.
Pitt’s PT is currently ranked 1st in the nation according to the latest surveys of Best Graduate Schools by .usnews.com
Related post:7 Best Medical Schools in Pennsylvania/How to apply.o apply.
What more do I need to know about physiotheraphy?
The Department faculty of Pitt’s University has set out the Technical Standards that are essential for the successful completion of the DPT curriculum.
Students admitted to the DPT program must review the Technical Standards and submit a signed form at the time of matriculation.
In order to become a licensed physical therapist, the applicant must be verified if he/she has been convicted of a misdemeanor, a felony, or a felonious or illegal act and if found guilty, the applicant may not be able to become licensed to practice the profession after graduation.
What are the admission requirements for physiotherapy, for Pitt’s university?
- Chemistry I and II sequence with labs, 8 credits
- Physics I and II sequence with labs, 8 credits
- Biology I and II sequence with labs, 8 credits
- Anatomy (human, vertebrate, comparative or anatomical kinesiology), 3 credits
- Physiology (human physiology preferred), 3 credits
- Two courses in Psychology: this should include a general psychology course and a specialized psychology course such as: developmental psychology, abnormal psychology, psychology of disability, sports psychology, 6 credits
- Statistics, 3 credits
What are the Additional Requirements for application at Pitts University?
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 (based on a 4.0)
- Applicants must demonstrate evidence of adequate exposure to the field and an appreciation of the breadth, depth, and scope of practice. This can be accomplished through volunteer or paid work experience in a physiotherapy setting; no minimum number of hours required, although 150 hours are recommended.
- The applicant must have completed the optional GRE within the last five years.
What are the Procedures for Pitt University’s Application?
All applicants are expected to;
- Submit an application through the PTCAS application portal. Applicants should ensure that they review the application process completely before entering data or filling out forms so that they will be aware of all the information they need to gather and how much time the entire process will take.
- In addition to reporting their grades and other demographic information, applicants will be required to do the following for the PTCAS application:
- Respond to 1 short essay.
- Provide 3 letters of recommendation: 1 from a licensed physical therapist (from applicant’s volunteer or work experience in a PT setting), 1 from a college-level professor, and 1 from either a second licensed physical therapist or a supervisor/employer, preferably in a healthcare-related job.
- Submit optional GRE scores to institution code 7754.
- Complete all fields in the PTCAS portal.
Notwithstanding, a personal interview is not a requirement for admission to the DPT program, applicants are also welcome to come and tour the departments.
What is the Tuition Fee for Pitts University?
The tuition cost per year for indigene student residents entering Pitt after May 2020 is $43,047. Although there’s an additional $950 which covers student fees (student activity, wellness, computing, and security) and $200 for Clinical Education fees (physical, screening, etc.).
Tuition for non-indigenes students entering Pitt after May 2020 is $50,658. There’s also an additional $950 in student fees and $200 in Clinical Education fees.
These tuition fees do not include costs for housing, food, and books/course materials.
What is the acceptance rate of the University of Pittsburgh?
Pittsburgh University has an acceptance rate of about 59.3%.
What are the scholarship opportunities at the University of Pittsburgh?
Elderhostel K. Patricia Cross Doctoral Research Grant – the organization awards the sum of $5,000 scholarship grant to doctoral students. It is used to aid in researching topics relating to aging and lifelong and/or later-life learning. The recipient of the award will be determined by a committee of professors, practitioners, and other leaders in the field of lifelong learning.
Equity and Justice Scholars – these scholarship organization provides up to three years of financial support and academic guidance to outstanding full-time doctoral students who attend to equity and justice at the school.
Pennsylvania Black Conference on Higher Education (PBCOHE) Scholarship – The sum of $1,000 scholarship award, is given to a graduate African American student in the Commonwealth at its Annual Conference at the Marriott City Center in Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh Young Professionals Scholarship Fund – This scholarship is available to full-time undergraduate and graduate students at the University of Pittsburgh.
The scholarship provides career-minded individuals the opportunity to develop professionally, civically, and socially within the Pittsburgh region.
Sabina Hilger Walsh and Harold Rex Walsh Scholarship Fund – This award provides assistance to sophomore students who are interested in pursuing a career in the field of teaching. Awardees are primary residence is in Beaver of Allegheny County, PA.
Weimann Family Teaching Scholarship – This fund was created to provide educational assistance to graduates of Pittsburgh Public School pursuing a graduate degree in the field of education.
All new students who will begin an Instructional I Certificate Program or a Master of Arts in a Teaching program in the summer/fall are invited to apply.
Jack Wilson Fund – This award provides financial assistance for innovative, international opportunities that foster an appreciation of and better understanding among different cultures.
Priority is given to ideas that promote peace and community development.
Student/Faculty Research Grants – Grants up to $1,500 are available to support student research.
Student Travel Grants – Grants are available to assist students traveling for research or professional reasons.
The DPT at the University of Pittsburgh is one of the few health and rehabilitation institutions that applicants should look out for. this is due to the excellent performance, standard learning system, and the wonderful scholarships and grant opportunities at the university.