Do you have a passion for boat mechanics? Here, I have packaged a few tips on how to become a boat mechanic. You can be referred to as a boat mechanic, marine mechanic, or motorboat mechanic.
All still deals with the fixing of motorboats and other aquatic vehicles. It takes in more to become a marine mechanics and you have to ensure to find the necessities to fulfill before applying to become one.
You can become anything you want to become anywhere in the world what really matters is your passion and commitment to the process. Are you thinking about what the profession has to offer? Yes! A marine mechanic salary may be different depending on three major factors which are skill, experience, and location.
The average annual wage for motorboat mechanics and service technicians was $41,350 in 2017, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. If you are going to be making less, you get an average of $30,650 while a high earner made $50,680.
Why Boat Mechanics?
Presently, there are a lot of boats, of all sizes and shapes across every sea, river, and oceans in the world. It shouldn’t be of a surprise t you when you find out that most of these motorboats often break down or sometimes be in dire need of a tune-up.
Without much delay, a boat mechanic is a right person for the job to keep the boat working well.
What tasks do I do as a boat mechanics?
- Take your time to communicate with your customers about what they think is wrong, and what you find needs to be done to get the boat up and running properly.
- Ensure taking care of all the routine maintenance.
- Test the engine for possible issues
- Observe and test all equipment on the boat to check for malfunctioning parts.
- Replace or repair all the worn, damaged, or defective pieces and parts of the vehicle.
- Always remember to keep everything you’re doing for each client well documented.
What Is expected of a good marine mechanic?
- Firstly, a good marine mechanic must have a good customer approach. It’s important you make use of your skills to communicate with your clients because the more your clients like you, the more referrals you get from each.
- This is more than boat repairing. You need to have a passion for the engine and treat it like a baby. Always inspect the boat anytime
- Take this point seriously. Hand-eye coordination is an important quality if you’re going to find success as a motorboat mechanic. For obvious reasons.
- You’re a problem solver and troubleshooter. You don’t have any issues figuring out what is going wrong inside that boat in front of you, and you know exactly what to do to fix it.
- You’re certified. Plus, you have memberships with professional associations. Who is going to employ a boat mechanic without certification? Maybe your parents and I guess that’s not an aspiration.
How do I become a boat mechanic?
Putting this in mind, you need to know that you have a lot to do as an aspiring boat mechanic. And I want to be sure that you aren’t planning to become just a boat mechanic but a successful one at that. I have a few tips for you to achieve that goal. If you have been following this post, you’d have gotten your mind on where you belong to in this field. Where do you belong?
Thus, these are few tips on how to become a successful boat mechanic
- You should first get your high school diploma or GED.
- This is essential! You will need some basic abilities which are math, reading, and writing skills.
- Get admission through a vocational or technical school specializing in motorboat maintenance and repair
- It is true that not everyone loves going to school. If you are one of those, then you have to consider yourself going for an apprenticeship.
- With this in mind, after you have gained the trust of your master, you’d still need to pursue the education sector by applying for a school to training you more on theories behind the profession
- Once all your schooling and training is done, you can get a job.
- Believe me, after you have gained work experience, then you can apply for a job and I hope you get it!
- Certification! You need to be certified. Check out the American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC), because they offer certification courses specific to your marine mechanics’ career.
- Become a master technician via ABYC
Related Post: Universal Technical Institute |Admission Requirements
Now, let me take you through industries with the highest pay…
INDUSTRIES WITH HIGHEST PAY
|Machine, equipment, and supplies merchant wholesalers||$54,810|
|State government (OES Designation)||$51,840|
|Deep Sea, Coastal, and Great Lakes Water Trans.||$50,570|
|Colleges, universities, professional schools||$49,640|
|Miscellaneous Durable Goods Merchant Wholesalers||$46,420|
In case you are wondering about your state if capable to make this huge pay, well I have the top 4 states that pay such amount close to the range
Florida – $40,000+
Texas – $44,000+
Michigan – $41,000+
California – $43,000+
In the end, boat mechanics is a profession that requires a lot of skills and you must endeavor to get those skills to secure your space as an expert in the field. I wish you good luck!