The Indira Gandhi Girl Child Scholarship came into existence after educational research was performed. As a result of this, the research shows that the number of girls in some certain parts of the country is declining to leave the boys with higher numbers.
Also, in the education sector, girls are denied education than boys. To the extent that girls are forced to always give birth to boys instead of girls. Although, the government has taken a lot of steps to fight this issue by implementing and executing various schemes including free education for girls.
Next, the UGC (University Grants Commission) has established a postgraduate Indira Gandhi Girl Child Scholarship with a major aim to promote girl’s education and compensate direct costs of girl education to all levels especially for such girls who happen to be the only girl in the family.
The objective of the Indira Gandhi Girl Child Scholarship
- To recognize the value of observance of the small family norm
- To support postgraduate education of single girl child in non-professional courses only
Eligibility for Indira Gandhi Scholarship:
- Girl students without having any brother or the girl student who are twin daughters/ fraternal daughters may also apply for scholarship under the aforesaid scheme. In a family, if one son and one daughter are available then the girl child will not be considered for scholarship under the scheme.
- Girl students up to the age of 30 years at the time of admission in PG courses are eligible.
- The scheme applies to such a single girl child who has taken admission in regular, full-time first-year Master’s Degree course in any designated university or a post-graduate college. This scholarship is available to PG-I year students only.
- Admission to PG Course in Distance education mode is not covered under the scheme.
Amount of fellowship:
Rs.36,200/- p.a. for two years only i.e. full duration of a PG course. No other additional grant will be payable instead of hostel charges and medical charges etc.
How do I apply Indira Gandhi Scholarship?
- It is very simple and straight forward to apply for this Program online through the National Scholarship Portal under the UGC Schemes Tab. Similarly, you can also use this link to register
- It is expected from the institutions where the student has taken admission in the first year PG course, no tuition fees will be charged by the institute from girl students to pursue PG degree course in Universities/Colleges/Institutions
Visit here to get access to the guidelines of the Indira Gandhi Girl Child Scholarship
Look out for other Related Posts scholarships in India below:
- Whether the candidate has to select “scholarship” or “incentive” in the type of scholarship for applying under the scheme?
The candidate has to opt for “incentive” to be able to apply under the scheme.
- Whether a girl child with a brother in the family is eligible to be considered under the scheme for award of scholarship.
No, only single girl child are eligible to apply under the scheme. However twin/ fraternal daughters are eligible to apply under this scheme.
- Whether a candidate who was within 30 years of age during admission to PG course but has crossed this limit at the time of application be eligible to be considered.
Yes. The candidate applying under the scheme can apply if she is below 30 years of age as on the last date of application too.
- Can students of second year post graduation apply under the scheme?
No. The candidates who are pursuing first year postgraduate courses only can apply under the scheme.
- Can the awardee avail of any other scholarship scheme during the tenure of this award?
Yes. This scheme can be availed with any other scholarship scheme as this is an incentive.