International UBC Future Forests Fellowships in Canada, 2019: As one of the world’s top forestry schools, the Faculty of Forestry at the University of British Columbia is giving away the largest single grant (up to $280,000) for a forestry student. The fellowship recipient will enroll in our PhD program and conduct research focused in British Columbia in one of the following area.
The fellowship recipient will enroll in our PhD program and conduct research focused in British Columbia in one of the following areas:
Forest Products Biotechnology – Bioenergy – Forest Genomics – Climate Change – Urban Forestry – Forest Management – Conservation – Forested Landscapes – Salmon Ecology – Forest Health – Forests and Indigenous Peoples – Forests and Human Health.
PHD ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- The majority of our doctoral students are admitted on the basis of a completed Master’s degree (or equivalent) from an approved institution, and show clear evidence of research ability or potential.
- For doctoral applicants with Canadian or USA credentials, please refer to the minimum admission requirements for doctoral degree programs set by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, as UBC Forestry follows these standards.
- For doctoral applicants with International credentials, we require an academic degree and GPA as detailed by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies International Evaluation Manual.
- English Language Proficiency. Applicants whose prior degree is from a university outside Canada in which English is not the primary language of instruction must provide official results of an English language proficiency examination as part of their application. Tests must have been taken within the last 24 months at the time of submission of your program application and the results must be sent to UBC directly from the testing agency. TOEFL, IELTS, CAEL, PTE are considered acceptable tests; you may refer to the UBC Grad Studies page for a complete list of acceptable testing agencies.
- The minimum TOEFL internet-based score required for a Forestry graduate program application is 100, with a minimum score in each component: Reading – 23; Writing – 24; Listening – 23; Speaking – 22.
- For IELTS, a minimum overall band score of 7.0 is required, with a minimum score of 6.5 in each component of the academic (NOT general) test.
- If you plan on taking an English proficiency test with a different testing agency, please contact us for information on the minimum test score required.
- Please note that at UBC, minimum test scores vary from program to program. Forestry’s minimum language score requirements are higher than the minimums listed by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
- If you completed your degree credential in a non-English speaking country but your university’s primary language of instruction is English, we require an official letter from the University Registrar to confirm this. In such cases you may be exempted from language testing.
- We welcome applications from both domestic and international students. Individuals of Aboriginal ancestry are particularly encouraged to apply. Please read the additional information for Aboriginal applicants to graduate programs.
- Admission standards for all of our graduate programs are in accordance with the standards set by UBC’s Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. Given that the number of applicants exceeds the number of positions available, a record that satisfies basic entrance requirements does not guarantee admission.
A complete PhD, MSc or MASc application file includes the following items. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that their online application and all supporting documents (including official language test scores if applicable) are received by deadline.
Note: we do not require a GRE score.
1. Secure the interest of a prospective supervisor
2. Complete the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies online application package
3. Scanned copies of official transcripts
4. Three (3) References
5. English Language Proficiency
6. Letter of Intent
7. Curriculum Vitae (CV)
To apply, kindly visit the application portal
Learn More with Videos: