King Edward Medical University (KEMU) is a prestigious and oldest medical institution of Pakistan. It’s amongst the oldest institutions we have in Asia. They have produced many of the brightest minds in our century.
Studying in such an academic institution can give us an edge over many of our peers. But one of the factors to keep in mind is their admission process. Knowing how to secure their admission can give you a great edge over many that are applying.
In this post, we at Jobreaders will unravel the unique understanding needed by you to understand and gain the admission at King Edward Medical University Lahore.
Related post: 10 Best Medical Schools in Tennessee 2020 | Application
About King Edward Medical University (KEMU)
The university is located in Lahore, Pakistan. It is quite prestigious and stands as a mark in the educational sector of Pakistan. King Edward Medical University is the fourth oldest medical college in South Asia, after Medical College Kolkata (January 28, 1835), Madras Medical College, Chennai (February 2, 1835), and Grant Medical College, Bombay (1845).
In 1911, Lahore Medical College was renamed to King Edward Medical College in Honor of the late King and Emperor and was modified into a degree-granting University on May 12, 2005, after it was renamed as King Edward Medical University.
The University has a myriad of degree programs offered to each academic level ranging from undergraduate programs to doctorate and professorship. Their programs are focused on the emphasis on research and the creation of new knowledge.
According to the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan, KEMU is ranked 6th amongst the medical universities of Pakistan.
The psychiatry department of KEMU has been designated the status of the Psychotrauma Centre for the province of Punjab by Prime Ministers National Advisory Council in the aftermath of killings at Army Public School, Peshawar killings in 2014.
Subscribe to our Jobreaders newsletter for more great updates on scholarships and applications into Universities in multiple nations
Studying at Pakistan
Getting your degree in Pakistan can be very exciting. The country is known for its cultural events and beautifully colored lifestyle imbibed in their culture.
Related post: Best Medical Schools for surgeons | 2020
The Mission of KEMU
KEMU’s mission is to take this university to the world-class level by providing under and postgraduate healthcare professional’s high-quality knowledge, exceptional skill sets, and empathy. Entrusting its products with community-oriented self-directed learning, altruism, professionalism and leadership in learning and research.
King Edward Medical University has functions she offers to the nation and they are
- Education of Health Care Providers
- Promotion of Health Care Services
- Quality Research and Excellence in the Medical Education
- Public Policy Development, and assistance to Punjab / Federal Governments
The medical field is a very honored profession in the world. Here are the requirements needed to attain such a profession at KEMU:
If you are planning to study at KEMU, then its vital that you pay attention to the details we are going to take you through here and mark out the important points.
Applying to the University is highly competitive.
- You have to take an exam conducted by the national testing service. This exam is known as the MDCAT test. And it is done on behalf of the admission requirement for those securing admission into an MBBS program
- A good score aggregate is required of you, so write very carefully
- A period of time is given before the results are published
- The results and admission are compiled based on the merit list base first.
To find out more information on the application, simply visit the official website for application into the King Edward Medical University, Lahore, Visit – http://www.admission.pk/universities/universities_display.aspx?university=kemc
For you to be considered eligible, some requirements have to be met. You need to have achieved the following:
- The Matriculation or equivalent securing a minimum of 60% marks is needed to be met by you.
- FSc (Pre-Medical) or equivalent securing a minimum of 60% marks
- Your Age should be less than 20 years at the time of submission of application.
- You must have scored at least 60% marks in the latest MCAT/SAT exam.
Benefits of studying at King Edward Medical University, Lahore
There are some great benefits to studying at the University. These benefits can aid and help us grow in our profession.
- The network of professional: King Edward’s has a range of trained professionals in different medical fields. You studying at the University can expose you to these professionals who can mentor you when approached. Having an academic mentor can be a great boost to your academic career.
- Health Care: The university has top-notch health care services that meet up to the health needs of its students.
- Security: There are trained security personnel who takes the security of its student as a top priority.
- Transportation: there are easy transportation modes that help the students transport from one place to another. As you study at the university, moving around won’t be much of a problem as there is a general place of convenience to board a bus.
- Access to educational material: the university’s library is well equipped with books to educate the mind of many students.
Frequently asked questions
Q: How can I get an admission into the King Edward Medical University, Lahore?
A: You are required to write the MDCAT exam. Aggregate is made by considering marks in intermediate and the PMDC entry test.
Q: Is the University governmental or private?
A: it belongs to the nation but recently after the expansion of the University, some private universities have gotten some affiliations to the University. An example of such a university that is affiliated to them is the Lady Willingdon Hospital.
Q: Who is the current Vice-Chancellor of King Edward Medical University, Lahore?
A: The current vice-chancellor of the university is Prof. Khalid Masood Gondal (Tamgha-i-Imtiaz).
Q: Is MBBS valid in the USA?
A: In the USA, an Indian student after completion of MBBS cannot practice directly since the basic level of study to practice is postgraduate medicine in the USA.
Q: What are the total fees for MBBS?
A: According to the Medical Council of India the average fee is INR 10,000 to INR 6 Lakh.
Q: How do I submit an article for publication in the journal of KEMU (Annals of KEMU)?
A: To submit an article into the journal simply visit the official website Annals of KEMU Website and find out the processes involved.