The Musical Society of Nigeria (MUSON) in partnership with the MTN Foundation (MTNF), announces entrance examinations for the twelfth (13th) set of the MTNF/MUSON Diploma Course in Music for the 2019-2020 academic year.
Admission into MTNF/MUSON Diploma Course in Music for 2018/2019 Academic Year
Exam Date & Form
The examinations will take place in “September, 2018” and will take the form of:
- A written examination in music theory at approximately Grade 5 standard and general music knowledge
- An audition on a major instrument or voice of at least Grade 5 standard, before a Faculty jury.
- An aural interview.
- A minimum of five(5) credits in SSCE/G.C.E (Ordinary Level) including English Language
- The five (5) credits must have been obtained at not more than two sittings and before admission to the diploma course.
- Practical: Grade five (5) or higher pass certificate of The MUSON School of Music or any other music examining body recognized by the MUSON School such as The Associated Board of the Royal School of music or Trinity.
- Theory: Grade five (5) or higher pass certificate of the MUSON School of Music or any other music examining body recognized by the MUSON School.
- Note: Applicants who possess the above practical or theoretical certificates must also satisfied the GCE (O/L) or SSCE requirements. Applicants who are deficient in the theoretical requirements but display an outstanding practical ability in the option of the faculty jury, may be considered for admission but must enroll in the remedial theoretical course to meet the necessary standard by the end of the first year.
yet to be announced
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Letters of Application together with copies of Certificates, two (2) Passport Photographs and Contact Telephone Number(s) or E-mail address to:
MUSON School of Music,
8/9 Marina, Onikan,
More about the The MUSON
The MUSON School of Music was established in 1989 to offer basic music training for children and adults interested in learning how to sing or play any musical instrument. In 2002 the School received the Nigerian Federal Government’s accreditation to award Diplomas in Music which can be equated with those awarded by the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music in the United Kingdom. This led to the setting up of the two-year MUSON Diploma School in 2006.
♪ All the students admitted to the Diploma course receive MTNF Scholarships.
♪ It has graduated over 200 students since 2008.
♪ Over 2000 students have attended the School’s Basic Programme since 1989.
♪ The Diploma School’s alumni are noted for their outstanding musicianship and have excelled in their chosen careers. Those admitted for further studies in Nigerian, South African, European and American universities have distinguished themselves in their studies.
♪ The Diploma School is the home of the award-winning MUSON Diploma Choir directed by Sir Emeka Nwokedi and the MUSON School Orchestra & Concert Bands. It has also produced outstanding Jazz ensembles such as the all-female GIRLZ RULE Band, the 5YZ MEN and The Theosolites.
Sharing the MUSON decade mile-stone is the MTN Foundation, which was newly formed as the Diploma course was starting.
MTN Foundation has taken the MUSON Diploma course as one of its nationwide projects and remains the one of the driving forces that helps us to keep our standards high. With our shared vision of excellence, MTNF has no doubt in its continued support of our Music scholars.
- Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
- Only short-listed applicants will be notified and given an examination number which permits them to take examinations.
- Successful candidates from the examinations will be invited for admission.