When it comes to paying for college, scholarships are the best form of financial aid hence, knowing how to write a scholarship essay and the tips used in writing a scholarship essay is important since they offer students free money that never needs to be repaid.
An essay is a short formal piece of writing dealing with a single subject.
Scholarship Essays is an essay that contains a short formal piece of writing that a student uses to portray his/her perspective about a subject.
These essays are written to earn sponsorship awards by either the government or individual public and private sectors.
It is typically written with the mindset of persuading the awarder, using selected facts and evidence to convince the reader.
what does the scholarship entail?
A scholarship is an amount of money given to a deserving student with great ability but little money to fund their education.
These scholarships, either come from schools, colleges, universities, or other organizations.
The scholarship award can cover the funding of a student’s tuition, accommodation, feeding, etc.
It is accessible after a student must have passed the screening stage, one of which is a scholarship essay writing
why do I need a scholarship?
When students desire to archive greater success academically and can not afford it, they can make their dreams a reality as long as they meet up the criteria for the scholarship.
One of the criteria is for the student to write an outstanding and convincing scholarship essay that can portray why the student needs the scholarship.
A brief history of essay writing
The word “Essay” is derived from the Latin word ‘exagium’ which means to present one’s case.
Therefore, an essay is a short piece of writing that represents one’s side of the argument, story, experience, etc.
Essays are very personalized.
A scholarship essay is aimed at promoting quality education across the globe even to brilliant students who cannot afford higher education.
These students are selected based on different selection criteria such as essay writing, academic performance amongst others.
What are the types of scholarship essay writing?
writing an essay does not differ from writing a scholarship essay.
The type of essay depends on what the writer is trying to convey to the reader during the scholarship essay writing.
- It can be an argumentative or persuasive essay, where the writer tries to get the reader on their own side of an argument. The writer does not just facts but also tries to convince the reader to accept their own point of view.
- Descriptive essay; here, the writer tries to describe a place, an object, an event, or even a memory. The writer tries to paint the picture through his /her words. If properly done, the reader may end up feeling the emotion of the writer.
- Narrative essay; the writer tries to narrate an event, incidence, or story through writing. This is done to involve the reader as they were there when it was happening. These essays should be made as vivid and as real as possible.
- Expository essay; here, a writer tries to present a balanced study of a topic. The writer must have real and extensive knowledge about the subject. This essay writing is completely based on facts, statistics, examples, etc.
How do I write a scholarship essay?
Typically, a scholarship essay should have the following points
- The introductory aspect of the essay, also the first paragraph of the essay where the writer introduces his/her topic for the first time. The writer tries to give the reader an idea of what they are about to learn. It should also present an argument in the form of a thesis statement.
- The body of the essay also known as the middle section is the most vital and important content of the essay. It is a section that portrays the writer’s particular points of view with pieces of evidence used to prove and persuade the reader to accept the writer’s views.
- The concluding part of the essay is the last part of the essay. It summarizes the whole content and findings of the essay. It is also a great place, to sum up, an argument or a story.
How many paragraphs should a scholarship essay have?
A scholarship essay should have a minimum of 3 paragraphs depending on what you are writing about.
Every part of the essay should begin with a paragraph, starting from the introduction, as well as the body of the essay and the concluding part.
Although the body of the essay can have as many paragraphs as possible, ensure it is simple and straight forward.
What more do I need to know about scholarship essay writing?
Applicants should ensure to take the following into consideration while writing a scholarship essay;
- Early preparation: decide on the topic you wish to write about, do a thorough research about the topic an also create an online essay. This will help you write mind blowing essays during the scholarship essay writing.
- Set out your arguments in the introductory part of your essay, try to develop your arguments with strong facts and evidences in the body of the essay and then wrap it up in the concluding part.
- Make sure you revise your work to enable you check the content, organization, grammar, spellings and formatting of essay before you proceed to submit.
Related post: Current Scholarships for Undergraduate Students | Free Online Application
What are the 7 vital tips on how to write a scholarship essay?
The scholarship essay is the most important aspect of the scholarship application, hence, it should be well thought.
The essay writing gives you the opportunity to let your personality and life experiences shine through.
It gives you the chance to stand out among other applicants.
In this post, we’ll give you 7 vital tips on how to write a scholarship essay that can guarantee you winning a scholarship.
- Star brainstorming and writing your essay as early as possible, since writing a scholarship essay takes time, energy and thoughts.
- Before you start writing your essay, organize your thoughts, plot a rough draft to enable your story flow smoothly and to also avoid an unorganized essay writing. Also make sure that you write out the important points and relevant information’s you’d want to talk about clearly before you start.
- Ensure that your essay has an interesting and appropriate title, this will draw the attention of the reader and also pique their curiosity.
- Do not keep your essay too long as the reader might find it boring and lose interest. Make sure you keep it between 300-500 words. This is the ideal length. Write strong points that summarize your essay.
- Ensure the use of simple and crisp language. Unnecessary complicated and difficult grammar might break the flow of the sentence, hence, the reader might not get your points as supposed.
- Ensure your punctuation marks, spellings are correct. Also, avoid grammar mistakes to avoid the reader from being distracted from the content.
- You can also ask a friend, family member, or a mentor to help review your essay before you can submit the scholarship application. This will help your essay appear polished and professional.
Applicants can also visit: Sample Copy
related post: How much IELTS score required for PNP Canada? Complete Guide
Early preparation, consistency in practice, understanding the steps to write a scholarship essay, understanding where you are academically, and also where you aspire to be in the nearest future will help you write an award-winning essay when applying for one.
Valentine Nnanyere is the founder and lead instructor at Jobreaders.org, an e-Learning community that focuses on technology, profitable skills, and high-quality knowledge sharing. Nnanyere is a digital marketing consultant, website/software developer, and new media advertiser with an undiluted interest in spreading high-income knowledge and career opportunities. For business, inquiries, support and partnership, kindly mail [email protected]