Telecommunication Engineering Career: Many students have found themselves in the career they don’t have passion for, hence it becomes difficult to cope in any career they find themselves in. But really, they don’t have to choose because of the rate of a student applying for undergraduate courses in most of the universities in the country. Good news, I bring some important keynote on how to begin a career in Telecommunications engineering.
What is a CAREER?
Many students need to be enlightened about what career is, A career is a long-term professional journey which may be determined based on your passions. It is the path you embark upon to fulfil your professional dreams, ambitions and goals in life.
Finding your career in life is one great achievement in fulfilling your purpose in life. In pursue of your career in life, you need a mentor in the same field or profession of your career that will always guide and motive you in fulfilling your career and purpose in life and destiny. Who, then is a Career Mentor in Telecommunication engineering
Who is a Career Mentor?
As a student, in respective of your course of study, the need for career mentorship is necessary. Career Mentorship is someone who reciprocal and collaborative at will, a relationship that most often occurs between a senior and junior employee in the same field of study within a company or organization that will always guide, encourage and motivate you about tour career or dreams and how you can achieve them.
Every good student needs a mentor in his/her field of study to have good success in life and destiny.
KEYS IN CAREER MENTORSHIP IN TELECOMMUNICATIONS ENGINEERING
There are some certain keys we need to know in choosing our career mentor, a mentor is someone you look up too, has positive track records in life, understood systems, laws and principles. Five keys needed to choose a career mentorship
- Good relationship and intimacy with the person you chose to be your mentor, it is important and expedient to know, understand, have good knowledge and information about your mentor in Telecommunication engineering so as to guide you into the right path and track in fulfilling your career.
- Law of honour: honour is a vital key we all need to possess, many students don’t honour their mentor and they want to be mentored by that same person. It is impossible!
- Determination and Dedication Are also keys needed for good career mentorship, some student is not determined to follow up with their mentors.
- Commitment: commitment is a virtue most students need to cultivate in having a good mentor in their career.
- Law of Value: Everyone in life needs to be valued and appreciated, value is also needed in choosing your career mentor. The person you don’t value and appreciate cannot be your mentor.
What is engineering as a discipline?
Engineering is the discipline that encompasses a broad range of specialized field such as design and construction of the circuit, maintenance of structures, applied science, applied mathematics etc. it is also the creative application of science and applied mathematics in its analysis.
What is Telecommunication engineering?
Telecommunications engineering is the expectation of engineering that deals with install, test and repair communications systems. This includes fixed-line and mobile telephone networks, copper wire and fibre-optic cabling, IP networks, microwave transmission, electronics switching systems and digital satellite systems. Examples of telecommunications work include: installing mobile and static antennae on buildings or masts installing, connecting and testing cabling diagnosing and fixing faults in systems working with aerial rigging and related equipment designing, building and testing telecommunications components and equipment.
A telecommunication engineer is a saddle with the responsibility for designing electronics switching systems, fibre optics installations, copper telephone facilities, data network systems, radio communications installations etc. they also deal with the installing, supervision and maintenance of network technologies, telephone lines and exchange offices.
What do I need to do to become a telecommunications engineer?
You may be able to enter this discipline through an apprenticeship with an electronics, telecommunications or IT company. For most universities in Nigeria, you need to seek admission through joint admission matriculation board popularly known as JAMB examination. The subjects to sit for in jamb are mathematics, physics, chemistry and English. Secondly, you need five credit in WAEC or Neco examination as a requirement. Thirdly, for ND holder will be applied through Jamb direct entry application into 200 level to study telecommunication engineering. Fourthly, these are the HND holders applying through Jamb into 300Level, they are called a special candidate.
Alternatively, another way you could be a telecommunication engineer is by taking full-time or part-time professional courses in electrical or electronic engineering at level 2 or 3, depending on your GCSE grades. From here you may be able to get a trainee position with an installation company.
List of Universities that offer Telecommunication Engineering as a course
- Ahmadu Bello University, (A.B.U) Zaria
- Bayero University, Kano.
- Baze University, Fct, Abuja.
- The Federal University Of Technology Minna.
- Salem University, Lokoja.
- Bells University of Technology, Otta (BUT)
- The Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA)
- Achievers University, Owo (AC)
Ahmadu Bello University, A.B.U Zaria
Ahmadu Bello University popularly known as ABU, Zaria is located in Zaria, Kaduna State. is a federal government research university in Zaria, Kaduna State Nigeria. ABU was founded on 4 October 1962, as the University of Northern Nigeria. The university operates two campuses: Samaru (main) and Kongo in Zaria.
Bayero University (BUK) Kano
Bayero University is a Federal University, It was established in 1975 located at BUK, it has two-site, new site and the old site Bayero university kano.
Baze University is a Private University located at plot 686, Jabi Airport Road Bypass, Cadastral Zone, Abuja, Nigeria and was established in 2011
Federal University of Technology Akure (FUTA)
Federal University of Technology, Akure is a Federal University located along Ilesa/Owo Expressway, Akure in Ondo State, Nigeria and was established in 1981
Skills to acquire for competencies and reliability in the field of telecommunication engineering
- CCNA Professional Courses
- CCNA Security Courses
- Cloud Computing Skills Professional courses
- IT Support Skills like programming courses
- Technical ability
- Physical fitness
Career Opportunities in Telecommunications Engineering Discipline
- Electronics Designer
- Satellite Communications industries
- Radio Communications industries
- Network Manager
- Computer Software Engineers
- Aviation Sectors
Sufficient knowledge about your career in life is needed so as to make you valuable, competent, reliable and irreplaceable in the field of Telecommunication Engineering within the country and across the country.
- How to Apply for DAAD Scholarship to Study in Germany - May 25, 2020
- Fully Funded Scholarship for Undergraduate International Students - May 24, 2020
- Commonwealth Scholarships for African Students | Application Tips - May 22, 2020