The Orange Knowledge Programme (OKP) is a multi-million Dutch development and scholarship program that is Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs is funding to promote skills, development and societal advancement.
The OKP is manages by Nuffic, a Dutch non-profit organization for internationalization in education. Nuffic is tasked with the responsibility of administering these scholarships to eligible professionals from 53 countries of the world.
In a nutshell, applying for the Orange Knowledge Scholarship Programme offers you the rare privilege to gain the skills and knowledge you need to boost your career relevance and take advantage of more global career opportunities.
OKP covers 100% cost of tuition and as a candidate, you will focus on learning without having to bother about the financial setbacks.
2023 Application Deadline
The Orange Knowledge Programme comes in different phases and Nuffic do carry out the communication, application and processing.
Here are the schedules for the 2023 academic year:
- Round One: Master’s and Short Courses
Courses should start between 24 July 2023 and 31 January 2024
- Round Two: Masters and Short Courses
Courses should start after 1 February 2024
NB: Except co-financed master’s programme, all courses must be completed before 31 August 2024.
What countries are eligible for OKP 2023?
Here is a complete list of countries that are eligible for the Orange Knowledge Programme 2023 (OKP Scholarships):
- Burkina Faso
- Palestinian Territories
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Congo (DRC)
For students from countries that are not eligible for the OKP Scholarship 2023, here is a comprehensive list of other top global scholarships for international students.
Important Information: The Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs has extended the Orange Knowledge Program until 31st December, 2024.
This programme update is to enable the ministry include new opportunities for individual scholarships and group training. StudyinNl.org will have all the necessary updates regarding these new changes.
In this regard, master’s programmes and short courses begins after 1 February 2024. Orange Knowledge Programme eds 31 August 2024 and for this reason, it needs to be adhered to as end date for implementation of courses, except for co-financed master’s programmes as highlighted earlier.
Aim of the Scholarship
The OKP scholarships are tenable in Netherlands through its development cooperation policy. Its aims include:
- To strengthen the knowledge and skills of professionals active in the priority fields through scholarships and training.
- To build the capacity of organizations in higher education and TVET (Technical Vocational Education & Training), in collaboration with Dutch knowledge institutions.
- The Orange Knowledge Programme offer opportunities to organizations and individuals in fields related to the priority themes of the Dutch government.
These fields relate to:
- Food and nutrition security.
- Water, energy and climate.
- Sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- Security and the rule of law.
Depending on the country where you are coming from, the Dutch government, together with the local embassy will be focusing on which themes are applicable for each country.
To stand better chance of being nominated and awarded this scholarship, you should be focusing on the local needs of your own country.
Additionally, the following fields are critical for each of the participating countries:
- Private sector development
- Exclusivity of women and marginalized groups
Note: Candidates can check which of these theme and field priorities apply for their country. To check this, kindly visit the country theme page to get started.
Types of Orange Knowledge Programme
The OKP Scholarships consist of 4 types of funding that are referred to as instruments:
1. Institutional collaboration projects
large-scale projects in which Dutch and local education institutions work together;
2. Group training
(Tailor-Made Training – TMT, TMT Plus, refresher courses)
This category provide three (3) different types of training to support local organizations by training a selected group of staff.
3. Individual scholarships for mid-career professionals
In this OKP Scholarship is for individual professionals who work at organizations active in priority areas, to follow a master’s or short course in the Netherlands.
4. Alumni activities
Activities that contribute to diplomatic relations and sustainable development by investing in local alumni.
Who can Apply for OKP Scholarships?
The limited number of OKP Scholarships are awarded to make and female who are:
- Living and working in an OKP country
- Proficient in English or French
- Working in one of the priority areas of their country
- Can motivate using and transferring their knowledge and experience in their employing organization after their studies.
- Agreeing to the programme terms and conditions.
Note: To learn more about who is eligible to apply for the Orange Knowledge Scholarship Programme, kindly visit the OKP information for applicants.
How to Apply for Orange Knowledge Programme 2023
To start your application for the OKP Scholarship, please kindly adhere to the steps below and head to the Dutch Education institution of your choice.
- Ascertain if your application is eligible based on the OKP focus areas determined for your own country.
- Check if you meet the OKP eligibility criteria.
- Find a course on the OKP course list, using the filter Orange Knowledge track.
- Have an understanding with your current employer to nominate you for an OKP scholarship.
- Contact the Dutch Education institution of your choice to receive more information about the application procedures ( including the academic requirement and link to apply).
- Get your application ready. Documents you need for the OKP application includes employer statement, motivation, passport, government statement (if it is demanded).
- In the course of the application round, submit your application online using the link that the Dutch education institution will be sending.
Each of the Dutch education institutions have set application deadline and you will need to adhere to it for your application success.
Is Orange Knowledge programme fully funded?
The Orange Knowledge Program is 100% fully funded by Netherlands government, through the Dutch Ministry of Foreign affairs.
The OKP Scholarship 2023 is open for applicants from 29 countries listed here only.
See Related Post: Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP) 2023 [Updates]
How do I get an OKP scholarship?
To get into the OKP scholarship, here is what you must do:
- Find out if you are eligible to apply for the Orange Knowledge Programme.
- Ascertain your stand on the eligibility criteria we include here.
- Know how willing your employer is in nominating you for the OKP Scholarship, and then get started.
Which University in the Netherlands is fully funded for international students?
From a list of educational reviews, the Maastricht University Scholarship is one among best schools in Netherlands that offer full scholarships for international students.