Studies have proven that countries that offer work permit to international students during and after graduation make it top in the list of best student destinations globally, and in this post, you will also see the types of jobs you can secure with limited documentation.
A work permit is a document that qualifies you as an international student to work while a study in that country.
Most students who study abroad always try to work why studying, this is to enable them to cater for as many bills as possible.
There is going to be a major shift in the standard and cost of living, so getting a part-time job brings about ease to their financial crisis.
However, a work permit is required in most of these countries to grant you access to securing a job, even as a student.
Work permit authorizes certain staff members to carry out high-risk work at a specific time and place hence the rules and regulations outlined in the documents are followed. The major reason for a work permit is mainly to ensure that high-risk task is safer.
- List of Countries that Offer Work Permit to International Students
- List of Countries that offer a Work Permits to International Students:
- Work Permit for International Students in the United States of America (USA)
- Work Permit for International Students in the United Kingdom (UK)
- Work Permit for International Students in Australia
- Work Permit for International Students in the Netherlands
- Work Permit for International Students in Turkey
- Work Permit for International Students in Canada
- Work Permit for International Students in Germany
List of Countries that Offer Work Permit to International Students
As an international student who intends to work while studying, there are countries you should look out for. This effort is to enable you to know if they offer work permits to foreign students, the steps to follow in acquiring them, and the types of jobs that you are allowed to do as a foreign student.
You should have it in mind that not all countries grant work permits to international students.
List of Countries that offer a Work Permits to International Students:
- United States of America (USA)
- United Kingdom (UK)
Work Permit for International Students in the United States of America (USA)
United States of America (USA) is one of the many countries that give work permits to foreign students.
However, there are restrictions. Note that if your visa is F-1 and M-1, you are only allowed to work on campus and also in specific programs.
These students are not usually entitled to work off-campus during their freshman year (first academic year), so they can either work in the school library, cafeteria, or student center.
It is also important to note that after year one, these students can work off-campus through some programs which are specifically designed for foreign students looking for jobs such as Curricular Practical Training (CPT), Optional Practical Training (OPT), and Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
Most universities can help international students with finding employment both on-campus and off-campus.
To work in the USA, you should:
- Prepare your resume; This is the most important aspect of job-hunting process for job seekers, it is very important to start seeking for jobs as soon as you are settled in school. Take every time that you have to prepare and to update both your cover letter and your resume to help you get better chances of getting a job and to also help you speed up the process. Know that starting to search for jobs early is the key to avoid being left with no options.
- Make use of your school resources; Your school is a definite guide to offer career services and they are likely to have a great deal of experience in helping international jobs in USA. Make effective use of that experience and set up a meeting with a career coach to discuss your specific situations and goals. Try as much as possible to attend various career events create a relationship with recruiters, try as well to follow up for potential interviews.
- Follow guidelines: Be constantly updated on the rules that affect your employment status in the United States. For on-campus employment, university rule may vary a bit, so you need to check the rules to apply for on campus. Off-campus employment such as OPT and CPT have also different guidelines you should abide by in order to become ready and feel confident when applying for jobs.
- Take advantages of the best opportunities available; To get a job as an international student in the US, it is very limited than as a resident of US. It is very important to take advantage of the job opportunities that suits your interest and knowledge. Usually, companies find it difficult to employ international students, reasons being that it is more expensive to employ a foreign student than an American student.
Work Permit for International Students in the United Kingdom (UK)
The United Kingdom is one country that offers work permits to international students. You can work as a foreign student in the UK as long as your university is among the school whose students are allowed to work while studying.
International students who are into a complete full-time program at either a bachelor’s master’s or Ph.D. level may need a maximum of 20 working hours per week. Also, they are allowed to venture into full-time work during the vacations and summer for bachelor students.
Your eligibility to work in the UK while studying depends on two major restrictions which restrictions set by your university and restrictions set by state-run official institutions.
Ensure that your university doesn’t have any reason to pull you back from your work before dealing with the state. Some universities may allow you to work inside the campus.
Before going out to look for a part-time job, ensure that you are really eligible for such a job. The first thing to look out for is your age, if you are under 16 and don’t have Tier 4 (General 4), you are not qualified to work in the UK.
To enable a safe working experience in the UK for foreign students, all conditions and restrictions are printed out on your Tier 4 sticker including the duration of hours you are allowed to work per week and during school and on vacations.
Work permit for international students in the UK only grants you permission to part-time jobs. Here are some types of jobs available for foreign students who seek to work while studying in the country.
- Admission officer
- Student support officer
- Fitness instructor
- Baby sitter
- Graphic designer
- Sales assistant
- Restaurant host
- Research assistant
- Physiotherapist assistant
- Social media assistant
- Customer assistant
- Veterinary care assistant
- Tour guide
- Customer assistant
- Personal tutor
- Security guard.
The list goes on, make your research and pick a job that befits you hence you have gotten your work permit as a foreign student in the UK.
Work Permit for International Students in Australia
In Australia, foreign students are offered work permits. Students who have completed their studies can apply for a post-study work permit or a temporary graduate visa (485).
With a 485 visa, you are eligible to stay in Australia for 18 months to gain work experience only if you have just completed at least two years of study in Australia.
The post-work-study visa (work permit) grants international students the permission to stay, work or look for work in Australia even after graduation.
Depending on their qualifications, region of study, the stay durations are from 18 months and to 6 years.
In the year 2019, the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs announced an additional post-work arrangement.
It stated that from 2021 foreign students studying at all locations outside Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane will have either one or two years extension on the current two years post work stream of the temporary graduate visa (subclass 485).
The main reason for this development is for foreign students to study and live in regional areas boosting diversity and prosperity in regional Australia
International students in Australia can work up to 20 hours a week during school sessions, but the student is allowed to work for as long as he wishes during vacations as there is no limit to the number of hours he is allowed to work.
Work Permit for International Students in the Netherlands
As a foreign student in the Netherlands, you are entitled to a work permit. International students in the Netherlands are allowed to work 16 hours per week during school sessions and work full-time during vacations in the months of June, July, and August.
To get a work permit in the Netherlands as an international student, your employer will be the will the one to apply for it on your behalf before employing you. The work permit must be applied for at the UWV Werkbedrijf and the procedure takes approximately 5 weeks.
Work Permit for International Students in Turkey
Turkey is another country that offers a work permit to international students. The duration of the period to work as an international student in Turkey is 24 hours per week.
Those eligible to receive work permits after the evaluation are usually informed to the Ministry of Labor and Social Security. The work permit is granted mostly to those who have completed their first year of studies for either associate and undergraduate studies.
There is a new law on international labor that has been implemented recently to protect the foreign postgraduate student work permit.
The law states that foreign postgraduate students who are now pursuing formal courses from recognized universities have the right to seek employment and get work permits in Turkey.
This law is for the international students who have a long-term study visa in Turkey as the Turkey student work permit is not allowed to the students of short programs or undergrad degree programs.
Work Permit for International Students in Canada
It is no news that Canada is a country that gives foreigners a great privilege to study there, the good news is that Canada does not only offers you the opportunity of studying there but also gives work permit. This means that international students are offered work permits in a country like Canada, thereby making it possible for them to work alongside studying.
You can also check out this related post: 15 Best Universities in Canada without Application Fee for International Students if you seek admission into any of the Canadian Universities.
You may either seek employment on-campus or off-campus as you must meet all the necessary requirements that are needed and you can only start work when you resume your study program because it is not allowed for you to start work before your studies commence.
However, there are options of work permits for international students in Canada
- On-campus Work Permit Exemption; full-time foreign students with a valid Canada study permit seeking to work on campus do not need a Canadian work permit.
- Off-campus work permit; foreign students studying full-time on a valid Canada study permit may be authorized to work off-campus if their school participates in an off campus work programs through Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)
- Co-op programs and internship work permit; foreign students who are studying in a program that requires work experience such as through a co-op or internship programs.
- Postgraduate work permit; this is for foreign students who have graduated from an academic program in Canada which lasted for period of minimum eight months. They may be qualified for a postgraduate work permit. The Canada work permit valid for the same duration your Canada study permit was.
- Work permit for spouse of a foreign student; a spouse of a foreign student that has a valid Canada study permit is very much officially entitled to a Canadian study permit or an open work permit which does not need a job offer or a labor market opinion.
Work Permit for International Students in Germany
Germany is another country that grants work permits to foreign students, but students are restricted to the number of days they can work. This is mostly 120 full days a year or 240 half-day a year. However, foreign students are not allowed to be self-employed or work as freelancers.
Students who want to work more need permission from Federal Employment Agency and the Foreigners’ office.
How to acquire a work permit as an international student in Germany:
- Get your passport ready
- Your university degree certificate or official document from your university confirming that you completed your studies successfully should be presented.
- Your health insurance should be made available
- You also need to provide a proof of your financial capacity.
The aforementioned and many others are the countries where you as a foreign student is a privilege to work while studying.
The benefits of acquiring a work permit and working even as an international student in these countries cannot be over-emphasized.
Working and studying do not just help you financially, but it also gives you required experiences that you may need in the course of time.
Learning through the work culture will remain a useful value that will recommend you to bigger work environments after graduation. It also helps you to get a chance to meet people from different works of life that can help you, impact you and as well help you to achieve your dreams.
You can also reach us on Facebook for more updates ( local and international career opportunities).