The 2021 Medical Assistant Jobs in the United States with 7 Top Recruiting websites is distinguished for Medical personnel’s in the United States who wish to start up a Medical Assistant Career in the USA
This article provided by Jobreaders is a guide for you to know the roles, scope, limitations, and the Job Outlook for a Medical Assistant respectively.
Medical Assistants take the record of patients’ temperature and also prepare medication as instructed by doctors.
As the name implies a Medical Assistant is meant to assist the doctor, physician, and other healthcare professionals in healthcare activities.
Furthermore, you need to know who a medical assistant is, what they do, and also the limitations and all it takes to become a certified medical assistant.
if, you are an international student reading this then check this specific article on the List of 10 Jobs for Foreign Medical Graduates in USA | Salary
Who is a Medical Assistant?
A Medical Assistant or Clinical Assistant works alongside physicians, mainly in outpatient or ambulatory care facilities, such as clinics and medical offices, and also medical schools.
Also, a Medical Assistant can be referred to as an allied health professional who supports the work of physicians and other health professionals, usually in a clinic setting.
It is pertinent to note that a Medical Assistant is different from a Physician Assistant, who is a licensed professional trained to practice medicine and also perform surgical operations in correlation with a physician.
Medical Assistants however are attributing job growth in the field of medical assisting which is one of the nation’s careers growing much faster than all average occupations.
In the same fashion, Medical assistants collect and prepare laboratory specimens or perform basic laboratory tests in the field of work.
And also the disposal of contaminated supplies and used sterilized medical equipment.
We have reviewed a post on Best Medical Schools for surgeons | 2020. This would help you in your academic venture.
However, some certain jurisdictions allow Medical Assistants to perform more advanced procedures, like giving injections, taking X – rays sample, after passing a test, or taking a course.
According to reports from the International Standard Classification of Occupations, Medical assistants normally require formal training in health services provision for competent performance in their job responsibility.
Furthermore, in the United States, medical assistants have traditionally sustained jobs almost exclusively in ambulatory care centers, urgent healthcare facilities, and clinical affairs.
Medical Assistants contemporarily find employment in both private and public hospitals relatively and also inpatient and outpatient facilities.
According to reports from the Department of Labor’s Occupational Outlook Handbook 2014 edition, the employment of Medical Assistants is expected to grow by 29%, much faster than the average for all occupations through 2022.
What do Medical Assistants do?
Medical Assistants are trained to perform and complete clinical duties and also administrative functions and other healthcare features.
However, the duties of Medical Assistants vary with the location, specialty, and size of the practice.
Below is a precise overview of the administrative and clinical duties performed by a Medical Assistant.
Are you interested in osteopathic, then this would be really helpful on the 10 Best Osteopathic Medical Schools in 2020 with Tuition Fees
The clinical duties of the Medical Assistant depend on the state where the medical assistant works and also the specialization involved.
Some of the clinical duties performed by the Medical Assistant is as follow;
- Taking medical histories
- Explaining treatment procedures to patients
- Preparing patients for examination
- Assisting the physician during exams
- Collecting and preparing laboratory specimens
- Performing basic laboratory tests
- Instructing patients about medication and special diets
- Preparing and administering medications as directed by a physician
- Transmitting prescription refills as directed
- Drawing blood
- Taking electrocardiograms
- Removing sutures and changing dressings
However, a Medical Assistant also performs administrative duties under the supervision of a doctor or other health professionals.
Some of the administrative duties performed by a Medical Assistant include;
- Using computer applications
- Answering telephones
- Welcoming patients
- Updating and filing patient medical records
- Coding and filling out insurance forms
- Scheduling appointments
- Arranging for hospital admissions and laboratory services
- Handling correspondence, billing, and bookkeeping
Medical Assistants’ employment is projected to grow 19% from 2019 to 2029, much faster than all the average occupations in the United States.
The rate at which the baby-boom population will continue to increase demands for preventive medical services, which are often provided by physicians.
Doctors and physicians hire more medical assistants to assist them to perform routine administrative and clinical duties thereby allowing the physicians to see more patients.
Furthermore, an increasing number of group practices, clinical psychology, and other healthcare fields will also need to support workers, particularly medical assistants, to complete both administrative and clinical duties.
However, Medical assistants work mostly in primary care, a steadily growing sector of the healthcare industry.
All medical assistants are expected to have a good job prospect; nevertheless, those who earn certification and have familiarity with electronic health records may have credible and better job prospects.
This table projects the employment data for medical assistants, 2019 – 29
|Occupational Title||Medical assistants|
|Projected Employment, 2019||864,400|
|Percent Change, 2019 – 29||19|
|Numeric Change, 2019 – 29||139,200|
Medical Assistants are also instrumental in helping patients feel comfortable in the physician’s office and often explain the physician’s instructions.
CMA (AAMA) Certification
Most employers of allied health personnel prefer or even insist, that their medical assistants are CMA (AAMA) certified.
Important Characteristics and Skills
Medical Assistants nevertheless must be able to understand and follow medical charts and diagnosis.
Furthermore, medical assistants may be required to code a patient’s medical records for billing purposes.
Additionally, medical assistants need to be precise and clear when taking vital signs or recording patients’ information.
Physicians, employers, and most insurance companies rely on accurate records.
In the same fashion medical assistants need to be able to discuss patient information with other medical professionals, such as the physician.
And they also interact with patients who may be in pain or distress, so they need to be able to act calmly and professionally.
Medical Assistants however should also be able to use basic clinical equipment so they can take a patients’ vital signs, such as heart rate and blood pressure.
7 Top Recruiters of Medical Assistants 2020
1. Community Care Physicians, P.C
Location: Saratoga Springs, New York
Saratoga Gynecology Associates is looking for a part-time Medical Assistant to join their family.
However, the Community Care Physicians offers a competitive and generous salary.
They also offer a comprehensive benefits package, which includes; medical, dental, vision, life insurances, paid holidays, paid time off, retirement plan, and still much more in a business casual environment
The position would be 24-27 hours per week
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Medical Assistant Certification, preferred
- Previous phlebotomy experience is required.
- Previous medical/clinical experience is preferred.
- Ability to use interpersonal skills to establish/maintain cooperative relationships with patients, families, members, physicians/providers, managers, co-workers, and external customers.
- Maintain strictest confidentiality and discretion.
- Knowledge of medical chart reporting/records
Salary Information $12 – $17 per Hour
Therefore, if you are interested in this opportunity and have the desired qualifications, then Apply Now
2. Marathon Health
Location: Pensacola, FL
Marathon Health is looking for a full-time Medical Assistant who has the knowledge and in-depth experience in primary care and preventative services.
Basically to treat and work with employees and families of Escambia County, the City of Pensacola, and also the Escambia Sheriff’s Office at their near-site corporate health wellness center in Pensacola.
- A minimum of 1 year of medical assistant experience (in addition to an externship)
- A Medical Assistant Certification strongly preferred
- Experience with occupational health preferred (that is, DOT physicals, drug screens, audiometric testing, respiratory fit testing, pre-employment physicals, etc.)
- Phlebotomy/venipuncture experience
- An electronic Medical Record (EMR) experience required
- Attention to detail, ability to communicate effectively with patients, and also strong computer skills required
- Relatively you should also want to work in an environment where health education and outreach is important to you and challenges you to make a difference
Related post: 7 Best Medical Schools in Pennsylvania/How to apply.
However, if you are a Medical Assistant who wants to work in a setting that emphasizes prevention, wellness, and patient involvement, then you should not miss this chance
Salary Information: $11 – $15 per Hour
3. Urgent Care
Location: Lake Orion, MI
Urgent Care Facility in Lake Orion is looking for a medical assistant with a minimum of 1-year experience as a medical assistant.
Also, typical medical assistant duties in addition to x-ray, which they can provide training on.
The medical assistant is also required to do reception work such as answering phones, checking PTS, verifying insurance, collecting PT payments, etc
- Performing injections
- Sterilizing instruments
- Performing X-rays
- Performing EKGs
- Administering medications
- Medical assistant: 1 year
- EMR systems: 1 year
- Medical terminology: 1 year
Salary Information: $11 – $15 per Hour
4. Primary Care
Primary Care in need of honest, loyal, hardworking, and experienced Medical Assistants.
All applicants must at least have five years’ experience with a limit of 2-3 employers in the five year time.
Also keep in mind that, certification and or degree is a huge plus.
Applicants must also be able to work legally in the US. with vast knowledge and experience in E-clinical Works which is a huge plus.
Primary Care offer exclusive benefits from Health Insurance to 401K.
Salary Information: $12.00 per hour
5. Sports Medicine North
Location: Peabody, MA
The medical assistant is responsible for patient care under the direction of a physician or licensed healthcare professional.
Additionally, the medical assistant frequently interacts with physicians, staff, and also patients managing the workflow of their care.
Related Post: 10 Best Medical Schools in Tennessee 2020 | Application
- Detail-oriented, well-organized individual with the ability to multitask and prioritize to address multiple needs simultaneously
- Able to react calmly and effectively under stress
- Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures
- Develop and maintain effective and professional working relationships with patients, medical staff, coworkers, and the public by displaying sympathy, tact, and understanding
- Must be a team player with a positive attitude, adjust to various personalities, work with a diverse population, demonstrating patience and professionalism
- Represents the clinic in a professional manner
- Capacity to work with and without supervision and perform a variety of routine tasks.
Salary Information: $12 – $17 per Hour
6. Baltimore Medicine System, Inc.
Location: Baltimore, MD
Baltimore Medical System (BMS) however is an innovative, Federally Qualified Health Center that is dedicated to improving the health and also wellness of medically underserved communities in the Greater Baltimore area respectively.
Furthermore, as the largest FQHC in Maryland, their mission is to improve the health in the communities which they serve by providing safe, high quality, accessible, and affordable health care.
The Medical Assistant nevertheless is responsible for assisting physicians with patient care, performing appropriate functions, and also preparing rooms and equipment for work.
In the same fashion, the medical assistant is also responsible for maintaining records and also interacting in a professional, friendly manner with patients & family members, physicians, staff, and visitors.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Escorts patients to rooms take history and vitals.
- Assists physicians with examinations assist with procedures as requested.
- Prepares patients for procedures performed in the office.
- Cleans exam rooms and equipment, performing sterilization procedures as necessary.
- Keeps exam rooms properly stocked with medical supplies, forms, and other materials needed.
- Triages phone calls, documents information from patients via telephone, relays information to physicians for the response.
- Places return calls as directed by physicians.
- Pulls patient charts for visits and files charts away after visits.
Salary Information: $11 – $15 per Hour
7. Choice Medical Group
Location: Barstow, CA
The medical assistant is under the supervision of the Office of the Supervisor/Practice Manager.
The Medical Assistant, however, will be responsible for preparing patients for the physician and also take vital signs, record patient charges, record patient history, and still assist in minor office procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Upholds and supports the philosophy, objective, and policies of Choice Healthcare Associates and Choice Medical Group.
- Ensures chart readiness before the patient’s visit.
- Takes and logs in the chart, patient’s blood pressure, height, weight, temperature, pulse, and respiration.
- Ensure HIPAA/confidentiality compliance at all times.
- At the provider’s request and under his/her supervision:
- Collects blood samples
- Perform EKG’s
- Ear lavage
- Basic first aid/ dressing changes
- Performs diagnostic tests as ordered by a provider
- Assist provider with patient examinations, treatment, and minor surgery.
- Gives medications and injections under the provider’s supervision and with verification.
- Sterilizes instruments and maintains the diagnostic equipment in good working order.
- Notifies supervisor of equipment needing repair.
- Appropriately disposes of expired medications/ bio-hazardous/hazardous waste. Be aware of the appropriate handling/ packing protocol. Refer to TCI policy.
- Prioritize with excellent organizational skills, responding to multiple demands and timeliness
- Demonstrate professional written and verbal communication skills and presentation skills using the English language
- Demonstrate the ability to respond to common inquiries from patients, customers, vendors, regulatory agencies, health plans, or member of the business community and possess excellent customer service skills
- Twist, turn, and utilize reaching motion, ability to sit and/or stand for extended periods.
Salary Information: $10 – $13 per Hour
Medical Assistant is a fulfilling career that allows you to interact with people daily and also an opportunity to enhance your interpersonal skills.
And also, Medical assistants provide valuable assistance to the doctors and nurses around them.
Many jobs don’t provide an opportunity to make a positive difference however, Medical Assisting is one of the Jobs that creates a positive impact.
Here at Jobreaders, we hope this article has been useful for more updates on career and jobs opportunities you can use this link to subscribe to our newsletter by signing up with your email for more interesting updates