Have a narrative tour of Columbia University (the acceptance rate, cost, admission, and scholarship aid) as you plan to make a move towards actualizing your dreams.
Columbia University is one of the world’s most essential centers of research and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for any undergraduate, or graduate in many scholarly and professional fields.
The University acknowledges the importance of its location in New York City and seeks to link its research and teaching to the vast resources of a great metropolis.
They seek to attract a diverse and international faculty and student body, to support research and teaching on global issues, and also, to create academic relationships with many countries and regions.
It expects all areas of the University to advance knowledge and learning at the highest level and to convey all the products of its efforts to the world.
So, if you are looking at applying to CU next year, soon or sometime in the future, you must read this article. It will help you ignite your game and put in the extra work needed to earn admission into Columbia University with little or no stress.
About Columbia University
Columbia University (also addressed as Columbia, and officially as Columbia University in the City of New York) is a private Ivy League research university in New York City.
It was established in 1754 on the grounds of Trinity Church in Manhattan, Columbia is the oldest institution of higher education in New York and the fifth-oldest institution of higher learning in the United States.
It is one of nine colonial colleges founded before the Declaration of Independence, seven of which belong to the Ivy League.
Columbia has been ranked by numerous major education publications among the top ten universities in the world and it is still keeping up with it’s standard.
Columbia was established as King’s College by royal charter of George II of Great Britain in reaction to the founding of Princeton College.
The University was renamed Columbia College in 1784 following the American Revolution, and in 1787 was placed under a private board of trustees headed by alumni students Alexander Hamilton and John Jay.
In 1896, the campus was moved to its current location in Morningside Heights and renamed Columbia University.
During the late 20th century, the university underwent significant academic, structural, and administrative changes as it developed into a major research/teaching university.
For much of the 19th century, the university consisted of decentralized and separate faculties specializing in Political Science, Philosophy, and Pure Science.
In 1979, these faculties were merged into the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
As of 1991, the faculties of Columbia College, the School of General Studies, the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, the School of the Arts, and the School of Professional Studies were merged into the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, leading to the academic integration and centralized governance of these schools.
Also, in 2010, the School of International and Public Affairs, which was previously a part of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, became an independent and integral faculty
Why study at Columbia University?
Students who are seeking transfer into this prestigious University must consider their GPA, admission requirement, and transfer/acceptance rate.
Hence, this article provided by jobreaders.org will guide you into the world of Columbia University. It will analyze and answer questions on its transfer acceptance rate, tuition fees, and admission requirements alongside reasons why you should study at this school.
Columbia University is an outstanding university that anyone would wish for but below are a few reasons why you should consider studying at Columbia University
- Columbia University is a school where you’ll see people from different walks of life. In this institution, you will find students from over thirty countries in the world. Interestingly, the admission process does not favor any gender or race. In fact, more than thirty percent of the students are Blacks, Asian, Hispanic, or Native American.
- Secondly, the institution has a one-of-a-kind core curriculum. This core curriculum started in the U.S from this institution in 1919. Here, most freshmen offer western literature called Literature Humanities which takes them two semesters to complete. However, this will teach them about the ancient Greeks philosophers like Sophocles, Homer, Aeschylus, Euripides, Aristotle, and Plato. Besides, this study lasts for two hours.
- Many students take the following course in the core which is Contemporary Civilization in their second year. This course takes two semesters to complete.
However, the remaining two courses are Art Humanities and Music Humanities. These two core courses teach students about the wonderful advantage of the New York City learning environment. Also:
- Columbia University is known for research and inventions in the natural sciences. In addition, seven faculty members and alumni of this institution are winners of the Nobel Prize in chemistry; nineteen Nobel prize winners in physics; thirteen Nobel prize winners in physiology or medicine. Professors from this university have been awarded the National Medal of Science on twelve occasions.
- Furthermore, Columbia University has a balanced academic work and campus life. Actually, students of this school live all around the campus. They enjoy clubs, restaurants, pubs, and the college library which are always open 24/7. Also, many students hold symposia on religion, philosophy, or science. Some also engage in a concert performance or club meetings on campus.
- What makes Columbia University stand-out is its manageable size. Having an undergraduate enrollment of about 3,600, this school is the smallest liberal arts college in the Ivy League. The School of Engineering and Applied Science is the smallest among the best engineering schools in the U.S having about 1,000 undergraduate enrollment.
How do I get into Columbia University?
The management of Columbia University makes a comprehensive assessment of all applicants during the admission process. So, you must be intentional with every part of your application matters a lot.
This is because the institution reads the personal statements of each candidate so as to understand their motivations.
Therefore, every candidate seeking admission into Columbia University is examined from the application by several officers to know if the student is the best fit for the college.
The following are things that can make you gain admission to Columbia University:
- Firstly, you need to have a good curriculum and grades because Columbia seeks for very brilliant students
- Secondly, make sure that your application has very promising extracurricular activities.
- Thirdly, you must show that you have a good character. This is because the character you have will definitely have an impact on the campus.
- Finally, try to check for changes to the application and new prompts. If your grades and test results are fantastic, prepare immediately for your essays. Basically, try and check up for past and present essays and study them very well.
How can I make my application for Columbia university stand out?
The admission committee of Columbia University takes students who are good at both academic and extracurricular activities. Also, students can show an interest in learning and a commitment to taking advantage of the resources available in Columbia.
Above all, the admission staff suggests that aspiring students demonstrate that they intend to give back to their communities.
According to Columbia admissions experts, try and find extracurricular activities that interest and challenge you.
Most especially, if you have won some trophies in football, make sure that you include it in your extracurricular. The aim is to show the institution that you have a talent and you can express yourself outside the classroom.
What are the admission requirements for Columbia University?
The following are the general requirements for admission to Columbia:
- Applicants must fill out the Common Application, answer the supplementary questions of the school, and pay an application fee of $85. The applicant may apply for a fee waiver.
- Candidates must submit an ACT or SAT score, along with their writing score.
- Applicants must provide their high school transcript and a school report.
- Also, candidates should provide two letters of recommendation from their teachers and one from the guidance counselor.
- Additionally, candidates are required to provide a mid-year report.
The following are the admission requirement outlined are for applicants with no post-high school:
- Firstly, the applicant must have a cumulative high school GPA of 2.5 on a scale of 4.0.
- Secondly, the candidate must possess 21 ACT or 1600 SAT score or be among the top half of their graduating class.
- Also, the aspiring student should show successful completion of the twelve units of college prep work with a minimum of a grade of C or higher in each course. This can only be considered if ACT/SAT composite score does not meet the minimum admission requirements.
What GPA do I need for admission to Columbia University?
Columbia University requires a GPA of 4.13 and you must be at the top of your class. Also, you’ll need A’s throughout all your classes to compete with other applicants.
Similarly, you should also take several AP or IB classes to show your capability to succeed very well in academics.
Irrespective of your academic class, your GPA should be at least 4.13, else you’ll need a very high SAT score to compensate and show that you’re ready to do college academics. With this, you’ll compete very well with other students.
What is Columbia University’s Acceptance Rate?
Columbia University is one of the top three universities in the USA Unfortunately, while every student wishes to study at this prominent university, Columbia University’s acceptance rate is so low that it cannot accommodate everyone.
A University that has more than 100 academic programs is an institution that several students dream of. This is the reason why Columbia University graduate school acceptance rate is low.
On the other hand, the institution accepted 2,214 students out of the 40,203 applicants the previous year. Well, that doesn’t mean aspiring Columbia attendees should give up on their dreams.
Besides, the school’s admissions website uses a comprehensive admission process. This means that the school considers every aspect, both qualitative and quantitative of a candidate’s application.
Columbia University normally accepts “A-” average high school students.
Does Columbia University give Financial aid?
International Student Financial Aid
Columbia University is structured in such a way that cost should not be a barrier to pursuing one’s educational dreams, and a Columbia education is possible for students from families of all sorts of socioeconomic backgrounds.
The University admits a large number of international students who apply for and receive a substantial amount of financial aid.
Also, Columbia University guarantee to meet 100% of all admitted first-year students’ demonstrated financial need for all four years, regardless of citizenship
On the other hand, most of these scholarships are awarded based on you or your family’s financial situation.
Also, the Federal Work-Study program is a type of grant which students get through part-time employment. Though it can differ in amount and availability by the institution, it can be given based on need.
Generally, half of the full-time undergraduates get scholarships, and the median need-based grant is $55,661. In summary, the percentage of students receiving financial aid is 59%.
How much is Tuition Fee at Columbia University?
While the undergraduate tuition fee of Columbia University is $59,430, the graduate school tuition fee is $48,390.
Besides, about 59.83% of the admitted undergraduate students get scholarship aid worth $41,752.
With the financial aid, a student may pay an average of $35,104 which comprises tuition, fees, book, supplies costs, and living costs.
Related Post: Point Park University| Tuition and fees
Does Columbia offer scholarships ?
At Columbia University, students may get scholarships based on academic or athletic ability, interest in a particular major, or volunteer work. Also, a student may get some financial aid if the person is a member of an ethnic or religious group.
Columbia College and the undergraduate division of The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science provide basic need-based financial aid to students, awarding grants, loans, and on-campus work-study jobs to applicants on the basis of their family’s financial circumstances.
There is no limit on the number of students who receive need-based financial aid as each application is considered individually. As of 2007-2008, the average financial aid package was over $30,000
There are no academic, athletic, or talent-based institutional scholarships at Columbia, as all of our institutional financial aid is need-based.
However, our students are often the recipients of merit-based scholarships from outside organizations (state grants/scholarships, local/national merit-based awards, etc.).
Visit our Official page for more scholarships information: Jobreaders
Columbia University is ranked No. 1 among the best colleges for philosophy, No. 2 as the best college in English and performing arts in America is the dream of many students.
Interestingly, Columbia University produced a one time president of the United States of America, Barack Obama
If you actually wish to study philosophy, English, and performing arts, this university is the right choice for you. However, it does not mean that this school is not good for other majors.
The University is among the first five oldest institutions in the United States of America.
Related Post you should check out:
- Cyprus International University Admission and Scholarship Details | 2020
- Syracuse University Application| Deadline
- San Ignacio University | Admissions and Cost
- University of California Los Angeles Admission, Requirement, and Cost
- Concordia University Montreal Acceptance Rate