Apply immediately! for the Ohio War Orphans Scholarship if you are a true blood (children) of the veterans who were deceased or severely injured while serving the country at a time of conflict or war.
The financial aid offered by the Ohio Department of Higher Education provides support and encouragement to those students who are enrolled or planning to enroll in a private and public non-profit university or college for postsecondary education.
If you meet the requirements of this scholarship, waste no time to send in your application for the war orphans scholarship 2020 as this could be the opportunity you are hoping for.
Just take your time and go through this article, Jobreaders.org has arranged every detail you need to be a participant in the War Orphans Scholarship.
About OHIO War Orphans Scholarship
The Ohio War Orphans Scholarship Board met on July 29, 2020 to approve new applicants and funding levels for academic year 2020-2021.
It has been decided that students attending Ohio public institutions will be funded 100% of tuition and general fees, and students attending private institutions will receive an annual award amount of $8,575 for the year.
Please keep in mind that schools must wait a minimum of 15 days after the start of the term before requesting funds electronically, which will be transferred electronically and applied to students’ accounts.
Students must attend full-time, and prior recipients must meet appropriate cumulative GPA requirements (minimum 2.00).
The war orphans scholarship program awards for tuition assistance to the children of deceased or severely disabled Ohio veterans who served in the armed forces during a period of declared war.
The benefits of this program may be used only for undergraduate study. Scholarship benefits cover a portion of instructional and general fee charges at two and four-year public institutions and a portion of these charges at eligible private colleges and universities.
The Ohio Department of Higher Education is a Cabinet-level agency for the Governor of the State of Ohio that oversees higher education for the state.
All You Need To Know About OHIO War Orphans Scholarship
Level/Field of Study
The War Orphans Scholarship may be used only for undergraduate study.
The War Orphans Scholarship 2020 is hosted in the United States. If you are an international student seeking scholarships to study in the United State of America, you can find such on Study in the USA category.
You can also check out other Study Abroad scholarships available for you irrespective of where you are coming from.
The War Orphans Scholarship 2020 is open U.S Citizens.
Students attending Public Institutions will be funded 100% of tuition and general fees, and students attending private institutions will receive an annual award amount of $5,667 for the year.
Eligibility For OHIO War Orphans Scholarship 2020
To receive War Orphans Scholarship benefits, a student must be enrolled for full-time undergraduate study and pursuing an associate or bachelor’s degree at an eligible Ohio college or university
- Ohio residency is required
- Applicants must be under the age of 25
- Duration: 30 minutes
Interested candidates can download the Application form through the specified link
Note: These Application Tips and the Student Acknowledgement Form only apply to students who have not yet applied for the scholarship.
- The application process requires FOUR forms: A COMPLETED application, DD214, Student Acknowledgement Statement, and VA Award Letter. Please only submit additional documentation upon request.
- The Veteran Award Letter needs to indicate an Overall Combined Rating or Overall Service Connection of 60% or more. The entire packet of each disability rating is not needed; only the overall service connection percentage is needed.
- The DD214’s service dates must coincide with the dates listed in ORC 5910, which are also listed on the back of the application under definitions, section 2. Service time during 05/06/1975 to 08/01/1990 do not qualify, unless you have received the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.
- Residency Section must be completed in its entirety.
- If a veteran’s DD214 shows a place of entry and home record “outside” of the state of Ohio, the student will need FIVE years of Ohio residency. The five years is a total of one year prior to completion of the application and four out of any 10 years in the state of Ohio. Therefore, a minimum of five years.
- Email addresses are strongly encouraged for an expedited response time.
- Applications must be notarized and signed by both student and parent.
- The deadline is May 15 of every year. Applications postmarked after May 15, 2021 will not be included in the 2021-2022 Award Year, but will be considered for the 2022-2023 Award Year. No exceptions. Please make sure to get your COMPLETED application in on time.
- Attach a copy of the war service record. Do not submit originals.
- Ensure to attach a copy of the Veteran’s Administration disability rating if applicable. Do not submit originals.
- If you have attended college, include a copy of your current grade point average.
The completed form and required documents must be sent to:
Amber Brady, War Orphans Scholarship Board, Ohio Board of Regents, Office of Financial Aid
25 South Front St., Columbus, Ohio 43215-3414.
What is the Student acknowledgement form?
The Student Acknowledgement Form ensures that all students awarded and utilizing the Ohio War Orphan & SDV Scholarship are properly accounted for and eliminates the reapplication process.
By completing this statement, you (the students) are aware if there has been a year or more of no payment activity on your scholarship, it may be deactivated.
However, once you are ready to use the scholarship, please contact the Program Manager for details on placing your scholarship back in an active status. You must be under the age of 25 to reactivate your status.
What documentation do I submit?
You will need to submit the War Orphans Application which can be found on this page.
Please complete the application in full, sign, and have it notarized.
Attach a copy of the parent’s DD214 and a Summary of Benefits/Verification Letter.
Probably, do not send the entire Disability Rating Evaluation packet. The only required document needed to verify from the packet is the overall disability rating percentage/ or combined evaluation.
If one of my children is already receiving the scholarship and other child is now applying, do I need to submit the application and all other documents?
Yes. There is no way to automatically link information and due to sensitive information being given it is best to keep all applicant information separate.
How does the OHIOs War Orphans Scholarship process work?
Once a student completes their application, it is then approved and entered into the system. The student will receive an award notification by email at the beginning of August.
This is to let them know how much WO Scholarship funding they are able to receive.
At that point, the student’s school will be in contact with the WO Program Manager 15 days into the term to request funding electronically be applied to the student’s account for tuition and fees.
Do the War Orphans Scholarship cover tuition and fees for summer classes?
The War Orphan Scholarship covers summer term tuition and fees, but not until late-August/early-September.
Therefore, students taking summer classes need to contact their school’s financial aid office for information on payment processing and how to handle any balances incurred until the time comes for the school to request payment.
Also, students must maintain a full-time course load during the summer term and have already been receiving the scholarship in order to receive funding.
For more information on this scholarship, kindly visit here to access the official website.
Application Deadline: Deadline is July 1 of each year.
Comment below your questions and suggestions on how to improve our services to you. Thanks